24

Cat sat in front of the altar in her small living room. She had it because of her mom. Right now it had pictures of both her mother and father on either side. In front of her mom's pictures, there was a necklace, which she's wearing in two or three of the photos. In front of the photos of her dad, there was a folded-up 8th-degree black belt. There were also crystals and herbs spread about the altar. There were also a few candles.

Cat's breath was shallow as she whipped tears off her face. Today was the anniversary of her parents' death, and this day was always hard for her. Luckily it was summer, so she didn't have to go to school.

***************

Cattrina and her parents were at her aunt's farm for the summer. It was normal for them to travel during the summer. She and her parents would go to different places around the world. Her dad had done martial arts training all over the world with different people and wanted her to do so as well. She was hoping this summer would be different. She just wanted to stay home and hang out with her friends. She already went to a different middle school from Demetri and Eli and was hoping to spend the summer with them. Well and Robby of course, but she went to the same middle school as him.

Cat had gotten into an argument with her parents. Her cousin was going to a party and invited her along, but her parents said she couldn't go. It could barely even be considered a party, it was more of a get-together than anything. Being the rebellious young teen she was though, she snuck out the window when her cousin was picked up. It was actually her cousin's idea.

She would have gotten away with it, but her parents found out when her dad had gone to check on her and she wasn't there. They called her and said they were coming to get her. Which they did. They drove to the place she was and dragged her to the car. It was raining out as they drove back to Cat's aunt's house.

"I can't believe you snuck out," her mom scolded. "This is not like you."

"I just w-wanted to have some fun," Cat said. "I-I didn't wanna come here this s-summer. I just wanted to b-be back home with my friends!"

"We know honey," her dad said. "But just give this a chance. We'll be back home in a couple of weeks, and you'll get to hang out with your friends."

"Whatever," Cat muttered.

"Hey, I'm sure we can find fun ways to do our training. Different ways. There are different farm chores that we can tie in with our training."

"And we can get in some dance practice, too," her mom said.

And there was the divide. Her mom wanted her to be a dancer while her dad wanted her to be a fighter. Either way, they both pressured her. Cat preferred fighting. She didn't mind the dancing too much, but she did the fighting stuff more. Cat actually sometimes incorporated her dancing into her fighting and her fighting into her dancing. She just wished she had more free time. More time to herself.

Cat's parents kept trying to convince her that this would be a good summer, but she was upset and a teen, so she just kept complaining. Her mom then went back to scolding her. Both about her complaining and about her sneaking out.

That's when it happened. No one had time to react. All Cat remembered was the impact, the ringing noise in her ears, bright flashing lights, and pain. Then everything went black. It was like the world stopped.

Next thing Cat knew she was surrounded by beeping machines in a bright hospital room. She blinked her eyes open slowly and glanced around. She couldn't really move her neck and that's when she realized she had on a neck brace.

That's when she saw her aunt and cousin asleep in the chairs next to the bed. Her aunt started to wake up and noted she was awake. "Oh, sweety, you're awake. How do you feel?" her aunt asked, getting up and walking over to her.