18

(******** = flashback/end of flashback)

Cat was awake and it was like 4 am. She was working on her programming job. She had been up for hours. She finally finished what she needed to get done after writing some stuff in her notebook. She looked at the time and realized she had school in just under 4 hours.

She got up, stretched, and she set an alarm for two and a half hours. She lay in bed and tried to get some sleep. She did get some sleep, before being frustratingly awakened by her alarm. She signed as she stood up out of bed.

She went to the bathroom and showered. She got dressed and blow-dried her hair. Then she made some toast and packed her school bag. After eating her toast, she brushed her teeth. Slinging her bag over her shoulder she pulled on her shoes as she stumbled to the door. She left her apartment and made her way past the broken elevator and had her way down the lobby and out the doors.

She looked at the time

She looked at the time. "Fuck," She muttered. She had like 20-something minutes to get to school and lives on the opposite side of town. If she had her skateboard she wouldn't be worried, but a wheel fell off of it the other day and she hadn't had time to fix it yet.

She took off down the sidewalk in a run. She ran as fast as she could, which was actually pretty fast. She occasionally had to stop to wait for the walk light (or whatever it's called).

Luckily, Cat had made it to school with plenty of time. She ran into the school and made it to her locker. She closed her locker and was going to head to her class but when she turned there were people standing there. Those people being Demetri and Eli

'Hey guy,' Cat signed and waved.

"Happy birthday, Cat," Eli and Demetri said.

'Thanks,' she smiled at them. She had kinda forgotten about her own birthday. She doesn't really like celebrating it anyway. One of the only good things about her birthday was that it meant that it was almost summer. Her birthday is on May 13. 

"I didn't know it was your birthday today," Miguel said as he and Aisha came up to them.

"That'd be because she doesn't talk about it," Demetri said.

'I'm not much for celebrating my birthday,' Cat signed.

"Why not?" Aisha asked.

Cat shrugged, 'I just don't.'

"She hasn't even had a birthday party since she was like 10," Eli said. "Demetri and I usually get her gift though."

"Which she begrudgingly takes," Demetri said with a hint of sarcasm and an eye roll.

Cat rolled her eyes, 'I appreciate them. I just don't like my birthday.'

"That's not going to stop us from wishing you happy birthday every year," Eli said.