Soft Touch

════════════════════════════
Just another day in the Scouts, or so you thought.
When Messes are created, you try your best to clean them before your Captain sees and loses his shit. Again.
Little did you know, a broken plate in the mess hall would bring you and Levi closer together.
════════════════════════════
SFW, fluff, xReader
════════════════════════════

Great, something else to piss him off further.

Despite the soft glow of midday sunlight filtering in through the windows of HQ , lighting up the halls with soothing golden light, and the clear blue skies outside base that promised yet another warm, relaxing beautiful summer day for those in the Survey Corps to enjoy, Y/N was worried.

Everyone had woken up that morning to an average day in the Corps. Everything was as it had always been, and always should be.
Early morning training, a quick breakfast, running errands for the higher ups, sparring practice before lunch time rolled around....Everything was peaceful since no expeditions outside the walls had been planned anytime soon, and everyone adorned a smile on their face and let lose a laugh or two.

But only when he wasn't around.

And that's what had gotten Y/N into this current situation.

She stood before a mess on the dining hall's floor. Plates, bowls, and a couple mugs had been hazardously tossed off a table after lunch and onto the stone floor below, shattering them and scattering food everywhere. She sighed, then nealt down to begin clearing the shattered ceramics before wiping and mopping away the food stains.

Please don't come in here....Please don't come in here....

Ever since their early morning training, everyone had taken note of Captain Levi's foul mood. It seems he had woken up on the wrong side of his bed and was taking it out on the world. Curses would fly, extra work loads would be handed out as punishments for those who had slacked off to enjoy the weather or joke with their peers, and many scoffs and defeated sighs were heard leaving his mouth as he took over the sparring courses for the day.

Everyone knew on days like this, it was best to just do as he said quickly and without question or complaint, less you risk making the situation worse.

Y/N wondered what it was this time, that had gotten him so worked up. The last she'd seen of him was at the beginning of lunch in the dinning hall. Instead of taking a seat and eating a meal with his co-captains, he stomped into the kitchen, grabbed a fresh mug of tea, and stomped back out. Most likely, she assumed, to return to his office.

Perhaps I should go check on him? Is that appropriate of a cadet?

Y/N had cleared the ceramic shards and placed them in a small bin she retrieved from the kitchens, and set to work on the leftover scraps that now littered the table's bench and the floor below.

Just then, the large wooden doors leading into the dining hall opened, and she stiffened. The footsteps at the door paused for a second, then a tired sigh echoed the otherwise empty room from the person who entered. Immediately, Y/N was on her feet and spun to face them, trying her best to hide the disaster behind her.

Captain Levi stood at the door, one hand on the brass handle he still held while the other came up to pinch the bridge of his nose. His sharp eyes snapped up to her face and narrowed. Y/N was quick to salute and greet him.

"Captain! Can I help you?"

He took a moment to answer, his eyes wandering over the mess she was so poorly hiding with her body.
"Was this you?"