At Long Last

Requested on Tumblr
════════════════════════════
As the rumbling comes to an end, emotions begin to run rampant as everyone takes in their newfound freedom.

The worldwide war was over now, leaving Humanity's Strongest Soldier a lot to reflect on. But above every achievement they'd all fought so hard to obtain, Levi takes the most pride in seeing you still alive through it all and at his side.

Much has already been said in the past five years leading up to and during the war, but Levi still has one last thing to say.

And finally, after all this time of hiding and fighting, he can live out the truth in his heart and speak his mind.
════════════════════════════
SFW, angst-to-fluff, spoilers!
════════════════════════════

Thick dust rained down from the desolate sky like a heavy fog, settling upon the land and filling every creator marring the ground formed by the rumbling. Chunks of bone and rock littered nearly every inch of land for miles around, a bloody testament of the war now behind them.

For a moment, all was silent as the air began to clear. Slowly but surely, you could make out other forms lining the battlefield near you. Comrade, foe, titan carcass...You couldn't be sure which was which.

You gripped the handles of your odmg tightly, ready to jolt back into action should the need arise. But as your vision cleared, and you noticed everyone present appeared just as dazed as you felt, you began to loosen your grip.

Doing a quick headcount, you were relieved to see Reiner and Gabi not far from you. Just behind you, you caught sight of Armin slowly standing from the rubble of his titan, dusting the debris from his hair and clothing.

You sheathed the handles of your gear back into your belt and attempted to become oriented once more with your surroundings.
Your hands and face were coated with a fine lair of dirt, and you suddenly remembered hitting the ground rather harshly as the colossal titan's forms collapsed in front of you.

How long you had lost consciousness for, you couldn't be certain. But regardless, you thanked whoever may be listening in for your survival.

The ringing in your ears started to subside enough to hear a sudden groan off to your right by several yards. Spinning in that direction, a gasp caught in your throat and tears stung your eyes at the new sight before you.

There just before you laid Connie and Jean; fully human and fully alive.

Barely able to contain your relief, you nearly fell to your knees then and there, had a sudden thought not stopped you from moving.

They're alive...My friends...Levi...

Panic closed off your airway, causing your mind to race frantically. Searing your immediate surroundings, you came up empty handed. He wasn't here with the others...

You choked down a sob and forced your legs to move. One step at a time, you began your search in a hazy panic. Every heap upon the ground could be him, you reasoned grievously, so you checked every boulder and every heap of bones for any sign of your Captain. Though your legs aches and your chest burned, you couldn't give up now. Not after everything.

Even around five minuets, when you were on the verge of a breakdown, your head spun with possibilities of Levi's fate. Thinking the worst, your heart raced faster than it even had beat during the battle you fought only minuets before.

And it wasn't until a shuffle of movement caught the corner of your eye a moment later did you dare hope against all odds.

Rushing hastily towards the movement, you attempted to wipe away the tears now running down your face. Seeing the familiar straps of odmg, you finally loosed the sob building up in the back of your throat and raced forward. For there he sat; back rested against a pile rubble and staring off into the distance.