Chapter 14: The Talk

There is a change in the way Lo'ak looks at Esmyrie. Everyone can see it.

It's like his eyes always catch onto hers, even when he isn't meaning them to, and his pupils immediately dilate, his ears perch up, and he will mess with the flower on his ear.

Esmyrie is the same, but a little less obvious. She'll look at Lo'ak and he will already be looking at her, causing her to let out a small giggle. Or she will mess with her skirt that has his handprint there. It's small things but they go noticed by Lo'ak, causing him to have a small smile on his face everytime.

Jake and Neytiri share a glance, and Neytiri has to cover her mouth from letting any laughs out.

Jake always thought it would be Neteyam that would have a crush first, he thought his oldest would have a girl fall for him because of his strong heart and confidence, but instead its Lo'ak. His youngest son, his baby boy, the rebellious child that is a resemblence of him.

"We need to talk." Jake tells Lo'ak when the rest of the kids are getting ready for bed.

It was never good when his father said that. And usually when his father said that he understood, as he went against the rules. But he has done nothing wrong this time, atleast he doesn't think he has.

Is he mad because I was late to dinner? , Lo'ak thinks to himself.

Maybe he is mad that I am not super close with Ao'nung yet.

There are a million thoughts running through his mind as to why his father would want to talk to him, but his mind comes blank to any answer that would make his father upset.

So, when he sits outside of the hut, his feet dangling in the water, he immediately goes to stand when his father walks out, just getting done putting Tuk to bed.

"You can stay sitting, son." Jake says, going to sit next to Lo'ak.

"Yes sir." Lo'ak mumbles.

Sir, such a proper name to call Jake, but one he has been doing every since the sky people returned. He didn't like it, it made it sound like he was apart of an army instead of a family, but he never would tell his dad that, because he was afraid his father would just get mad.

"You're not in trouble Lo'ak." Jake starts out, and Lo'ak looks to his dad with wide eyes.

"I'm not?"

"No, well do you have a reason to be in trouble?" Jake then asks, knowing a lot of times when Lo'ak is rebellious he doesn't find out until someone tells him.

"No, no." Lo'ak shakes his head.

Jake hums in thought trying to figure out how to approach this situation. He has never had to have this conversation before. It feels weird to him, knowing now how much he has grown. He is no longer a kid himself, he is a husband with four beautiful kids who are all growing up too quickly.

"It's okay to open up, you know." Jake starts, hoping the conversation won't make the boy feel uncomfortable.

"What?"

"You can talk to me and your mom about anything. We are still your parents, Lo'ak."

"I know." Lo'ak says, kicking his feet into the water, feeling the drops that reach his knees.

"Then you should feel comfortable enough to let us know of your feelings towards Esmyrie." Jake admits, which causes the young boys eyes to widen.

"Dad! Shshshsh, she could hear you!" Lo'ak whispers shouts, not knowing for sure if Esmyrie has fallen asleep yet.