Chapter 51: War is Among Them

It was true, everything Esmyrie has seen has come true.

First the villages, than the Tulkun, and next the war. The problem, is that it is so eerily quiet.

It's just Esmyrie and Lo'ak, cuddled together by the fire, the clouds rolling in. Lo'ak trying to calm his fast moving heart rate as Esmyrie plays with his hair. He would usually find peace in a moment like this, but instead all his feels is dread.

His parents are out with the Chief and Ronal, they are searching for the Tulkun. Or possibly they have already returned, he isn't sure. He hasn't really had his mind on the present, thoughts of his brothers death consuming him whole.

He knows Esmyrie is thinking the same thoughts as him, they have been quiet this entire time since his mother cleaned his hands. Usually he wouldn't feel like the silence is suffocating, because he is with Esmyrie and Esmyrie makes all things better, but now it just feels like he is trapped.

He is somewhat grateful for the conversation he hears off in the distance, that is until they get louder and more aggressive.

"What's going on?" Lo'ak asks, sitting up.

"I don't know... but I think whatever it is, isn't good." Esmyrie mumbles, and Lo'ak nods his head sadly.

He gives her a hand, helping her up, before motioning for her to walk with him, going to figure out what all the commotion is about.

Esmyrie takes his hand, holding it tighter than she usually does, her fears consuming her whole.

When they reach the commotion they see that almost the entire Clan is in a circle, and Lo'ak can see his father in the middle.

Lo'ak gently pushes past some people, making sure to keep his hold on Esmyrie, until he can see and hear what is happening.

"We knew about this hunting of our tulkun people, but it was over the horizon far away. Now it is here!" Tonowari shouts to his Clan, and Lo'ak can tell he is trying to rile the people up to go to war.

"You have to understand how the sky people think. They don't care about the great balance." Jake tries to explain.

However, the Clan doesn't seem to listen, wanting revenge for their tulkuns getting attacked.

"No, listen to him." Neteyam interrupts, his gaze moving to Esmyrie and Lo'ak for a second, his eyes turning soft when he sees the fearful eyes they share.

"The sky people are not going to stop. This is only the beginning. You got to tell your tulkuns to leave. You got to tell them to go far away!" Jake yells, trying to warn the Clan, his gaze saddening when he sees the Clan disagree.

"Leave? You live among us, and you learned nothing!" Ronal yells to Jake.

"We will fight to protect our brothers and sisters!" One of the Metkayina yells.

Esmyrie grabs Lo'aks forearm at the yells and chants of war, knowing her hold on his hand was possibility hurting him. He grabs onto her waist protectively, pulling her closer to him.

"No no no no no. If you attack, if you fight then they will destroy you! They will destroy everything that you love!" Jake's voice begins to crack. His one job is to protect his family, they fled so they wouldn't have to face war, and now here they are. "Hear my words! Hear my words!" Jake yells, but that seems to agitate them more.

Esmyrie hides her face into Lo'aks shoulder, shaking her head at the Clans cheers and chants of wanting to fight. Neteyam see's the girls fear and moves to some of the Metkayina members, holding the tracking device that was imbedded into the Tulkun.