Chapter 35: Ashes of the Fallen

Once the words registered in Jake's mind, he is on his feet, grabbing the girl by the forearm and forcing her up.

He accidentally grabs her arm a little to hard, her wounds from her fingers still bleeding causing the girl to hiss in pain.

"Hey! What the hell dad?" Lo'ak gets up, standing in front of the flap where Jake is trying to leave the room.

Neteyam himself is shocked by his dad's aggressiveness. Sure, their dad could be a little rough, but always just with them, not Kiri, Tuk or Esmyrie.

"Lo'ak. Move." Jake grits out.

"Dad-" Neteyam tries to interrupt, holding Tuk's head protectively against his chest.

"Neteyam, not now."

"No! Why are you hurting her? Can't you see your hurting her!?" Lo'ak yells out, not caring if this is the first time he says no to his dad so aggressively.

Jake seems to come to his senses at that, and let's his hold on the girls arm lighten, allowing the girl to breath again without gritting her teeth.

Esmyrie is still trying to make sense of all she was just shown. She doesn't understand why Eywa would show her, her out of all people, but Esmyrie takes it as a gift. Eywa is giving her the chance to protect the ones she loves, and if what Eywa showed her is true, she is going to do everything in her power to stop it.

She won't let the skypeople have an advantage and she sure as hell won't let her brother die.

That's her big brother, and he has protected her, always, it's time she protects him.

She still doesn't understand why Eywa showed her the future with Lo'ak, and a part of her feels her heart twist when she remembers the blood on his hands. Some nagging thought in her head suggests that she is the mother, but she can't tell if that's her being rational or her just being in love. And why would Eywa show her that she is to die, surely Eywa would know that would scare Esmyrie.

She doesn't understand it all or the reasoning behind it, but she understands one thing. The people she loves are in danger and she can help.

"Lo'ak, it's okay." Esmyrie tries to reassure, but still Lo'ak doesn't move from his spot.

"What? Esmyrie you were just... You hurt yourself from whatever you saw, you exhausted yourself to the point you fell asleep. No, it's not okay. Whatever you saw isn't okay." Lo'ak tries to reason.

"Lo'ak, son. Move. I won't ask again." Jake says.

"Or what? You'll knot my tail? You'll make me be grounded, no swimming for a month? Say I'm the disappointment of the family again?" Lo'ak shrugs out, not backing down.

He is worried about Esmyrie and he isn't about to let her out of his sight after she was so paranoid and scared.

Neteyams eyes widen at Lo'ak's confession, before giving his father a side eye. Jake was always blaming Lo'ak, and sure, his baby brother could do stupid things sometimes, but Lo'ak doesn't deserve to be called a disappointment.

"Dad, don't you think it can wai-" Neteyam tries again, only to shut his mouth when Jake gives him a look.

Neytiri can see the tension going off her husband and son, and can see the look of confusion and concern on Esmyrie. She quickly gives Kiri a kiss on the head, praying for Eywa that Norm makes it soon, before standing up by her husband who still holds onto the girls arm.

When she shares a look with Jake, she can instantly read him and his concern.

What Esmyrie said when she woke frightened her husband, and her husband wants answers.