Chapter 48: Blood or Not

Esmyrie tries to get up and follow Lo'ak when she sees his head bent down in embarrassment, but Neteyam grabs her arm before she can do so.

He shakes his head in warning, and Esmyrie sighs out but listens. However her eyes still never meet his, and it breaks his heart a little more.

He thought when they talked on the beach that their friendship was back to normal, but it appears not, as she still will hardly look him in the eye or talk to him and it's killing him inside.

He's been thinking about their argument on the daily, trying to see what he did wrong, how he can apologize with more than just a simple 'I'm sorry' and yet any apology he thinks of doesn't seem enough.

He just wants the friendship they had before back. He has been in her life since the minute she was born, he doesn't want to lose her now because of his own ignorance.

He remembers how when they were kids they would do everything together. And he remembers the first time he went from seeing Esmyrie as a best friend to more like a sister.

He is nine, and Neteyam has been begging his father to take him night hunting, but everytime he asks, Jake refuses. Uncle Nilar got word though of the Sully boy wanting to go hunting and was able to convince Jake to let him go. And so, Jake, Nilar, Neteyam and Esmyrie (as she insisted she needs to go to make sure her dad is safe) go night hunting.

Jake was taking the lead, not really wanting to be out tonight as his mate is back home dealing with two kids and a baby, but when Nilar explained the excitement Neteyam had, Jake couldn't resist.

He knows he'll have to make it up to Neytiri, as also spend one night with just Lo'ak and another with just Kiri to make all his kids happy, but he won't complain. He loves that time when it's just him and his kids. Where he can be a father instead of the leader who everyone looks to.

Nilar even insisted that once his night hunt is done, he will watch over the Sully kids for an evening, allowing Jake and Neytiri a much needed date night. Jake was very thankful for the request while Neytiri was more hesitant as Tuk is still so young, just a baby, but once Jake reminded her that Nilar once had a baby of his own, she accepted the request with thanks.

And so, that's the main reason Jake agreed. He had Nilar with him, so if anything went sideways, he knows his brother would be there to protect Neteyam and Esmyrie.

The only problem was that Esmyrie could not keep quiet. While Neteyam always listens to his father and his rules, Esmyrie has always been more rebellious like Lo'ak, and this is no different.

Jake wants to say something but he knows that she is just a child, a year younger than his oldest, and so he keeps his mouth shut, allowing Esmyrie to ramble about whatever it is she wants.

"Daddy." Esmyrie pokes Nilar on the shoulder.

Nilar was behind the group, allowing the two kids in the middle so they were protected on both sides, but when Esmyrie stopped her walking to get her father's attention, he couldn't help but move his eyes from the forest to his little girl.

"Hmmm?"

"If we see multiple animals can I get a kill too? I know Neteyam wants one but I want one too." Esmyrie says, showing off her bow, which happens to be Nilar's when he was a little boy.

"Let Neteyam go first then you can."

"Really!?" Esmyrie asks excitedly, her voice raising.

Jake sends a look to Nilar to tell his daughter to quiet it down or animals will hear her, and Nilar sends him a firm nod.

"Yes... now if you want a kill you need to be quiet. Animals can hear a lot better than we can." Nilar reminds, pushing her along to continuing following Neteyam and Jake.