Chapter 45: Loss Yet To Come

Lo'ak tries his best to ignore Esmyrie when he walks away from the argument he just had with his father, but Esmyrie is not letting it go, continuing to follow him.

"Lo'ak, just wait." Esmyrie says, trying to reach the boy.

"Leave me alone." Lo'ak grumbles, snatching his arm away from her when she reaches him.

"Lo'ak-"

"I said leave me alone." Lo'ak grits out, continuing on the track back to the hut.

"Why are you being like this?" Esmyrie asks, grabbing the boys hand and stopping him in his tracks.

"Because I'm pissed off."

"That doesn't mean you should take it out on me." Esmyrie whispers.

"Honestly, I'm starting to think this was a bad idea." Lo'ak says, pulling his hand out of her grip.

"What?"

"My own damn father doesn't see me, so how could you?"

"Lo'ak..."

"I thought I could handle the visions but I can't..."

"So you regret it? After you said you didn't.... You lied?" Esmyrie whispers, no longer trying to grab his hand in comfort, her eyes casting downward to the sand below them.

"I don't know." Lo'ak truthfully says.

"You don't know?"

"Yeah... so just leave me alone for a bit. I need time to think." Lo'ak shurgs her off when she tries to reach for him, walking away once more.

"No! I'm not just going to let you walk away when times get tough!" Esmyrie yells, her voice being raised in a way Lo'ak has never heard before, making him stop.

"Esmyrie-"

"You... you don't get to walk away from me Lo'ak! You... you can't do that! Everyone I love either leaves me or dies but I won't lose you too!"

"What do you want me to say about that? That I'm sorry? I wish that didn't happen to you! That none of this happened to you, but how do you want me to respond? How do you expect me to react? I saw my brother, dead! Dead! And... and my own father only fucking cares about my siblings being safe. He doesn't care about me. And he damn well doesn't care if I got held prisoner."

"Lo'ak... baby-"

"The only reason my dad would be scared of me being held hostage is because that would mean the skypeople found us. He wouldn't care about my well being. Hell, he probably wouldn't even come and save me!" Lo'ak yells.

"Well I would! I would destroy the world if it meant you were still in it. I would kill every. last. one. of. those. demons. If it meant you were okay!" Esmyrie means every word.

"I can't live this life without my brother, Esmyrie.... I can't."

"But you can live without me?"

"What? No... No! I didn't say that. Why would you say that?" Lo'ak asks, his breath getting caught in his throat.

"Because it's true."

"It isn't!" Lo'ak argues.

"Damnit, Lo'ak! It is... Eywa didn't just show Neteyam dying! She showed our future-"

"Stop... stop." Lo'ak mumbles, shaking his head, not liking where this is going.

"-I didn't show you the vision of our kids for a reason, Lo'ak."

"Stop! That's not..... no-"

"It showed your brother alive... older, healthy. You have five kids."

"We have five kids because nothing bad is going to happen." Lo'ak whispers, his hands going into fists at the things Esmyrie brings up.