Chapter 20: Nightmares

Lo'ak did not want to leave Esmyrie's side. At all.

But then his father threatened him with having to distance himself from Esmyrie if he didn't apologize and so finally, finally he got up to hangout with the boys and say his oh so sympathetic apology.

It may be surprising but Lo'ak and Jake used to have a really close bond.

He treasures those moments close to his heart. He is hoping that maybe, just maybe he will get that father back, instead of the hot headed, military-dad father he has now.

He remembers how his dad was always there for him when he was beginning to have nightmares every night.

Little seven year old Lo'ak never understands why, but for some reason he can't find peace in his sleep.

He has these terrible dreams that always wake him up in the middle of the night, which then causes him to force his way in between his parents that are sleeping. Neytiri is about to have another child, Jake's hand is holding her stomach protectively, and they both are asleep, but Jake stirs when he feels his arm get lifted In the air, before going back down where it was resting only a few seconds later.

He feels the little body that has squished his way between himself and Neytiri and Jake sighs before moving over more so the boy can settle in.

"Daddy, are you awake?" A little voice asks, causing Jake to fully open his eyes at his youngest son's question.

"Yeah buddy, what is it?" Jake whispers quietly, not wanting to disturb Neytiri who has been struggling with a good night's rest because of the baby kicking.

"I want to be held." Lo'ak whispers out, his fingers messing with the little purple flower that lays behind his ear.

"Okay, come here." Jake says, moving his arm from Neytiri's stomach, going to lift the boy and resting him on his chest. Once Lo'ak is resting on his chest, he moves closer to Neytiri, always wanted that comfort of his wife there.

When he starts to hear Lo'ak sniffle he puts a hand protectively on the boys head, holding him close to his chest.

"I don't understand daddy." Lo'ak sobs out, his hand going to play with his dad's hair as the other wraps around his dad's shoulder.

"Don't understand what? Can you explain it to me so I can help?"

"I just... I don't get how one second you are hurt then you aren't. It messes with my head!" Lo'ak gets louder as he talks, causing Jake to shush him as Neytiri stirs in her sleep, and Neteyam peaks one eye open before seeing his brother on his father's chest and closing it again.

"I'm not hurt though." Jake says, motioning towards his body that, for once, doesn't have any scratches or bruises.

"You just were though. You just were, daddy." Lo'ak cries out, hugging his dad closer to him.

"Okay, okay. How was I hurt?" Jake asks, following along with the boy.

"The....the demons returned here and you got shot." Lo'ak cries out.

"Son... Son. The sky people are gone. Remember? Mommy and I fought and they were forced to leave. I'm okay... I'm not hurt."

"Then why did it seem so real?" Lo'ak asks, moving his hand that is holding his dad's hair to wipe his eyes, his flower falling off in the process, landing on Jake's neck.

Jake picks it up and quickly puts it back in his son's hair. He isn't sure why his son wears the flower everyday but he isn't going to question him about it. It makes him happy.