Chapter 28: More Like a Dumbass

When Lo'ak returns that night he is surprised to see Neteyam and Esmyrie sitting next to each other. What surprises him more is when he gets a clear view of Esmyrie's scratched up arms.

He instantly runs over to her and crouches down, his thoughts of ignoring her going out the minute he realizes she is hurt.

"What happened?" Lo'ak asks, turning towards Esmyrie.

She doesn't answer though, she doesn't even look at the boy.

He has been ignoring her for days. He can't just come back when it feels convenient for him.

"Brother, what happened?" Lo'ak asks when he gets no response from Esmyrie.

Neteyam looks towards his brother and stands up, giving Esmyrie a nod of reassurance before grabbing Lo'ak by the forearm and dragging him out of the hut and away from prying ears.

"Hey, hey. Lighten up on your hold, it hurts." Lo'ak groans out, not understanding why his brother is being so aggressive towards him.

"Where were you?" Neteyam asks out, letting go of his brother but pointing a threatening finger towards him.

"I was out with Payakan. Why?" Lo'ak asks, truly confused about what happened.

"All day? It's after eclipse Lo'ak! Your what? Now not just ignoring Esmyrie and dad but all of us now?" Neteyam let's his anger go, showing the concern he has for not knowing where his brother was.

"I'm not ignoring Esmyrie."

"Yeah you are. And I don't know why but it needs to stop." Neteyam urges.

"Why? What happened?"

"You're going to lose her if you keep whatever this-" Neteyam points to the ocean, "-is. You're lucky I was there to help her when you weren't."

"What happened?" Lo'ak asks more sternly, wanting to know why his brother is so mad at him and what he did wrong.

"She's still grieving Lo'ak. It doesn't help that we fucking left where her father was laid to rest... I get it, okay. I know dad is rough on us and that you need to get away sometimes. But everyday? Esmyrie feels like you don't even care about her, and honestly I see no reason why she shouldn't feel that way." Neteyam explains.

"I can't talk to her."

"Why?! She is your best friend! Be there like a best friend is!"

"Because I fucking love her Neteyam! I love her and she doesn't like me back! You know how hard it is, to love someone so much but not be able to show it because they don't feel the same? It fucking hurts, bro. It hurts. And so selfishly I avoid her so I don't feel the hurt."

"And in the process you are hurting her!" Neteyam argues back, causing Lo'ak to look at the boy.

"What?"

"She needs you. Okay? I'm... I try to help but there is only so much I can do. She doesn't want support from me. She wants it from you."

Lo'ak stands there for a moment trying to digest the words spoken to him. When the words finally set in he realizes how much of an asshole he has been. Neteyam is right, she does need him. While Lo'ak is here moping around because his father doesn't like him, Esmyrie is moping around because she has no father.

"Shit. I'm an asshole, aren't I?" Lo'ak asks out, causing his brother to snort.

"More like a dumbass." Neteyam shrugs, causing Lo'ak to give him a glare.

"Thanks, really needed that comment."

"Mhmm. You did, helps keep your ego down. Now please, go in there, talk to her, and stop avoiding everyone. If you love her, fucking show it and maybe she will love you back." Neteyam pushes the boy towards the hut, causing Lo'ak to flip him off.