Chapter 27: In Every Single F-ing Universe

Lo'ak is avoiding Esmyrie. He has been doing it the last four days.

He watches her at a distance, always making sure she is okay, but never goes to talk to her. He is pretty sure they have spoken three words during the last four days and he only has himself to blame for it.

Selfishly he can't talk to her right now. He is pretty sure if he talks to her all of his feelings will go out at once and he will express everything that he feels for the girl. He doesn't want to make it awkward and mostly, he doesn't want reality to hit him that she, in fact, does not feel the same.

So instead, he has been avoiding her. He has even stopped with his painting, seeing no point in trying to finish it. It was going to be his way of saying I love you, but now after recent events, he doesn't think he will ever say those words to her.

Lo'ak instead has gone out of the reef, going to Three Brothers rock and hanging out with Payakan, the Tulkan taking his mind off of the pain in his heart for a few hours.

While Lo'ak is away with Payakan, Esmyrie is back at the Metkayina Clan, starting to walk around more frequently without her wound hurting as much.

She walks, that's all she can seem to do to get her mind off the hurt she feels for what she could of possibly done to have her best friend suddenly stop talking to her.

She doesn't understand it. She thought they were okay. He admitted to seeing her, but now he won't even look at her for more than a few seconds before avoiding her eyes.

Did he not mean it? Does he regret saying it? Did he realize I was a mistake and different like everyone else, and wants to banish me from his life? Those are the questions that have been constantly running through her head for the last four days.

To make matters worse, her and Neteyam still aren't talking. And when her and Lo'ak got in arguments, (was this even an argument?) Neteyam would be the one she would go to. But now she can't even do that, as he still won't talk to her, and instead has been hanging out with his dad and Ao'nung more often.

She can't go to Tuk, she wouldn't understand.

and Kiri... Esmyrie loves Kiri but sometimes Kiri can be a little too blunt, and the last thing she needs right now is to be told she is an idiot.

She would go to Jake but he is with Neteyam, trying to teach Neteyam how to ride a Skimwing (more for Jake's own enjoyment though of seeing his son always fall off) and Neytiri has gone to fly on her Ikran, that being the only thing that makes her feel like home.

She feels completely alone again, just like she did when her father just passed away.

She hasn't left her tent in three days. After her and Lo'ak returned from their leaf when she found her dads burned corpse, she went to her tent and wouldn't get out of it. She didn't even let anyone go into her tent either. She would just sit there are stare off into space, dissociating herself from reality, not wanting the truth that her father is indeed -dead- to run through her mind.

Jake would try and visit but she would just glare at him, sometimes even pushing him when he stepped a foot into her home. It is her home now, no longer belonging to her father with him being dead.

They still did a ceremony for the man, they did it for all of the Na'vi that perished. But instead of bringing their bodies to Eywa, they couldn't as they were burned, they would bring articles of clothing or jewelry that belong to them instead.

Esmyrie didn't go to the ceremony. She didn't see a reason in going. The reason they have them is to send the lost bodies to Eywa, giving them back to her, but without a body they weren't sending anything back. She believed his soul will forever be lost in the ashes of him and the other Na'vi that perished that day.