Chapter 1 : First Day

Today could have been a turning point in my life. Does it sound exaggerated when I say that? Possibly. Perhaps I'm exaggerating too much. It could be the start of a boring routine or the start of years of regret. Hopefully not the latter but who knows? I can't predict the future. All I can do is adapt and pray that everything goes smoothly. Sorry if I sound too cynical but that's just the way I am.

Even though it wasn't visible on my face, I felt quite excited. This is my first day as a high school student and not just an ordinary high school. Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, that's what my school is called. This high school is the most elite school funded directly by the government with the most complete and luxurious facilities in the entire country. In addition, alumni of this school will get a 100 percent guarantee of acceptance to any college or workplace they like. It's not surprising that people say that this is the most elite school in the country.

Right now I'm sitting on the bus in my red school uniform. Actually, I don't really like the design. Red blazer, blue tie, but the pants are green. Green! Even though his tie is blue so why should his pants be different? At least the girl's uniform looks a bit better with a white skirt that matches the shirt.

Besides me, several other teenagers wore the same uniform. The second and third-year students all lived in the dorms so it was certain that all of the students on this bus were freshman. Maybe some of them will become my classmates.

"Too bad," the girl next to me started to sigh. "Why can't we be in the same class? What kind of coincidence caused the three of us to be placed in different classes."

I didn't enroll in this school alone. The girl who was complaining just now was my twin sister, Kurose Yukie. Her hair was the same jet black as mine but much thicker and slightly wavy and slicked to the side. Her eyelashes were curled and she wore little makeup. She is the typical girl who is often at the top of the high school hierarchy with an expensive fashion sense, and a sizeable social network, but that doesn't mean she acts like your typical 'mean popular girl'. My sister can be friends with anyone but some shy people might be a little intimidated by her style or group of friends. In this school, she was placed in class B.

Apart from her, there is also my neighbor and best friend since childhood, Higashi Teiichi. A man with glasses who always looks serious. As per his appearance, he is quite academically intelligent and also a hard worker. Unlike my sister who frequently follows fashion magazines, Teiichi is not very fashionable but quite neat. He himself is in class A.

Among the three of us, I'm probably the most relaxed. My hair is also thick like my sister's and I let it grow to cover my eyebrows. I don't care about fashion but that doesn't mean I have bad taste. I'm not that diligent but my grades are pretty good, and my physique is pretty good too. My social skills aren't bad but in most social situations, I tend to just listen. Like my sister said, I'm not in the same class as either of them. I was placed in class C but for me, it's not a problem.

"I don't see any problem. We can still hang out whenever we want."

I agree with Teiichi. Just because we're in different classes doesn't mean we can't meet. Besides, even if she complains about it, I'm sure she'll be the first to leave us after she gets a new friend. For people like her, it's easy. Of course, my social skills aren't bad but somehow girls are always better at this.

"Still, I think it's better if we are classmates. My gut tells me that our school life won't be easy if we're apart."

"You're exaggerating, Nee-chan," I said. "We're heading to school, not to the battlefield."

"You're too naive, Yuki. For teenagers, school is always a battlefield."

I don't know why she would think that, but never mind. I don't want to spend the rest of the trip arguing with her. By the way, I can already see the school complex from the bus window. The school area is quite fantastic for a high school. Even universities are not that big. My sister next to me also stared at the school scenery in admiration.