Chapter 44: The Rules

"All students should have change into their jerseys. Make sure to check your designated bag and your luggage and do not forget your cell phone. Please keep other personal item in your room. There is a possibility that you will not visit the bathroom for some time, so please do so now."

After the announcement, we all returned to our respective rooms to change clothes. The fact that we were instructed to wear jerseys indicated that our arrival on this island was not just for recreation. We were also prohibited from bringing personal belongings.

"I'm so nervous," Matsunaga said as we were busy changing into our jerseys. His words represented how we all felt. "I can't help but wonder what kind of test they will hold that brought us all the way to this remote island."

"Maybe it's some kind of survival game?" Gilang replied as he put on his shirt.

Meanwhile, Arai, who had finished dressing, responded in a joking tone. "Survival, huh? Don't tell it's a Battle Royale or something. Maybe after this, we will all be given weapons and told to scatter..."

Matsunaga laughed. "If that happens, I hope they give me more than just a pot lid..."

"Whatever it is, we will soon find out," I said, ending this brief conversation. We all returned to the deck and were asked to gather by class. I saw Takada-sensei standing in front of us with a megaphone.

"We will disembark now, and I ask all students to get off from ship in an orderly manner. Students from class A are allowed to go first. Cell phones are prohibited while on the island, so please hand them over to your respective homeroom teacher before you disembark."

When Takada-sensei mentioned that cell phones were not allowed, I could hear some people groaning in displeasure. Many of them probably wanted to take photos on the white sand down there, but considering the real purpose of our arrival, it was better to leave them behind. Because the teachers had to check our belongings, it took quite a long time before we all set foot on the sandy beach. Many students started complaining about the scorching heat of the sun. While the other students began chatting with each other, I saw Shionome-sensei approaching us with a serious look.

"I will begin taking attendance. To the students of class C, when you hear your name, please answer loudly and clearly."

The students who had been basking in the sunlight were starting to get impatient with all the formalities. I could hear some people grumbling quietly. Nevertheless, in the end, we all had no choice but to comply with them.

While we were taking attendance, a few men brought a small platform and placed it in front of us. After the roll call was finished, Takada-sensei stepped onto the platform with her megaphone. She looked at all the students gathered in front of her before speaking.

"To all the students present today, first I want to congratulate all of you for arriving safely," Takada-sensei said. As she spoke, I saw several adults in uniforms getting off the ship with large bags and lots of equipment. They began setting up tents and installing various electronic devices such as computers on long tables.

"Now, we shall commence this year's first special exam."

The light chatter from some students was no longer heard. After sensei announced it, silence fell over all of us as the students looked at the bespectacled teacher seriously. Of course, some students were confused, mostly from classes B and D.

"Huh? Special exam? What does that mean?" someone asked. Some students exchanged confused looks, while others just stared at the sensei seriously, waiting for further explanation. Most of my classmates were calm because we had anticipated this, but it didn't diminish the nervous feeling in our chests.