Chapter 15: The Biker

That day we all agreed to have extra lessons five days a week at the library. If the library is full then the alternative is in the cafe or in one of our rooms. Miwa, Togashi and Shinji groaned when they heard that we would be studying nearly every day, but given the circumstances, they had no choice but to agree. After agreeing on the study schedule, Sawatari let us go home. Talking about studying really spoiled the mood a bit, that's why Shinji asked me to accompany him for a walk. He was currently buying something at the convenience store while I was calling Satonaka to report on what happened that day.

"Oh, I see. I know it's not going to be easy. That's why I met Ryou-chan earlier."

"Is it true? So you coaxed him?"

"Well, that's what I'm trying to do. Sadly...."

"He ignored you?"

"Yes."

"You did tell me that he doesn't always listen to you, but there is one thing I still don't understand."

"What's that?"

"Why didn't you put Kazami in your group? He may not want to listen to anyone right now, but you know him the longest. I think it makes more sense if you're the on who persuade him."

Just as Miwa and Shinji had said a moment ago. It didn't make any sense for Satonaka to directly delegate this responsibility to me. Was she perhaps just fed up with dealing with the roguish Kazami? No, Satonaka doesn't seem like that kind of person.

"I understand. In your eyes, I might act on my whims by leaving a student like him on you."

"No, it's not like that. I also don't want anyone to get kicked out so I'll definitely help him out. I'm asking this out of curiosity."

"Hmm... all right. You might not understand, but this is my way of helping him."

Help him? How? Like she said I don't really understand what she means. Hm...I have a guess but I'm not really sure if this is correct. There's nothing wrong with asking.

"You...want him to join my circle?"

"...Oh? You can understand apparently. No, of course you'd understand. You're a smart guy."

"So I was right?"

"Yes, right on the marks."

He wanted Kazami to be a part of my hangout groups. If I recall our conversation last night, coupled with the fact she just said, then it's clear that she wants me to act as Kazami's tether. Seems like people like to delegate various tasks to me these days.

"Sorry if I troubled you." Satonaka apologized.

It would be a lie if I said I didn't feel bothered. An ally with a temperament like Kazami's will only harm you. If you don't know how to control them then it would be best to get rid of them early before they have a chance to cause harm. Unfortunately I can't do that. Not only because of my bet with Kasai, but because I can't bear to throw people away for no reason. Although hot-tempered, but Kazami did not commit any crime. Also, there's still a possible point reduction from expelled student.

"I'm not going to complain. I told you I would."

"Really? Thank you then. If there's anything I can do to help you, just tell me."

"Thank you, but that's okay...no, actually there's one thing you might be able to help with."

"What's that?"

"Tell me what Kazami was like in middle school?"

"I think you can already guess that by yourself."