Chapter 39: Compromise

"If we want to talk about the roots of all this," I said. "Why don't you ask your friends first why they quarreled with Nanahara?"

"Oh, I've done that, but so that there are no misunderstandings, how about we ask the person concerned to tell it directly?"

"So you want to call witnesses?" Saionji-senpai asked.

"Yes, I want to call Deshima Junko as a witness."

"Wait a moment senpai," Shiraishi interrupted. "We are here to discuss the attack against Tanaka-kun. Since we now know that there are other perpetrators, shouldn't we postpone this trial? The matter between Nanahara-san and Deshima-san is a personal matter and can be resolved mediated by their respective homeroom teachers. We have no reason to discuss this matter here."

"I disagree," Fujimori chimed in. "All the homeroom teachers are here as supervisors, after all as Ishikawa-kun said, this all started from their fight. If we can solve the problem right now, then why not?"

After listening to both opinions, Saionji-senpai nodded and then decided. "I agree with Fujimori-san, call Deshima Junko here."

On Saionji-senpai's orders, Deshima Junko was brought into the room. The blonde girl shuddered when she saw Nanahara throwing a hateful gaze at her. Apart from telling her to be quiet, I should have also asked her not to glare at anyone. Showing hostility will not help our case at all.

Deshima was invited to sit in the chair previously occupied by Yamada-senpai. The girl sat down nervously and Saionji-senpai, wasting no time immediately questioned her. "You're Deshima Junko from class 1-D, correct?"

"Yes..."

"On June 2nd, did you and your three friends have a quarrel with the girl over there?" Saionji pointed at Nanahara and Deshima turned to look at her with eyes that showed a mixture of fear and hatred.

"Yes..."

"Tell me what happened."

"Um...okay. At that time, after school, my two friends and I went to look for Nanahara. We saw her walking back towards the dorms so we immediately chased her—"

"Why do you want to meet her so bad?" Saionji-senpai interrupted before Deshima could finish his story. The girl was stunned and looked a little uneasy. She glanced at Ishikawa as if to ask him for help.

"It's okay. Just tell everything honestly." Ishikawa answered a little lazily.

Having no other choice, Deshima was forced to answer the question with a slightly embarrassed face. "Actually...I have a crush on a second-year senpai...."

Saionji-senpai nodded in understanding. She didn't show any overreaction and neither did the others. "What's that guy's name?"

"Hah? Should I tell you?"

"Of course, this is important..."

"Um..." Deshima still looked hesitant but finally complied. "Fujiwara-senpai."

Saionji-senpai raised her eyebrows. "Ah, that guy, huh? Yeah, he's such a heartbreaker."

Um, senpai? Did I just catch an implication there? Well, whatever, the problem now is how Deshima will portray the incident.

"Continue..." Saionji-senpai ordered.

"We heard that Fujiwara-senpai likes to approach that girl recently, so we decided to warn her..."

"Ah, so you confronted her because you were jealous?"

Deshima was silent. It must be hard for her to admit it. On the one hand, I didn't expect her to be this honest. I thought Ishikawa would tell her to twist the story as much as she could.