Chapter 37: The Trial

The room still looked the same compared to the last time I came here, the difference was that this time there were more people in it. To the right of the U-shaped table, I saw Shiraishi, Masaki, and the other suspect Shimada Shohei who sat between the two of them with nervous faces. Class A, represented by Fujimori, Seiji Evans, and Tanaka, sat on the left side, directly opposite class B. The victim Tanaka was no longer wearing bandages so maybe the wound was lighter than I thought. At the head of the table, I saw Teiichi sitting with the vice president of the student council, Saionji Setsuko-senpai.

Apart from the students, there are also two adults in this room, specifically homeroom teachers, each of whom accompanies their students. From class A there is Takada Hitomi-sensei who teaches mathematics. She was a woman in her thirties with a neat appearance with glasses. Her attitude is much more firm and professional compared to Shionome-sensei who tends to be more relaxed. Apart from her, there is Osamu Daichi-sensei who teaches history. He is the homeroom teacher of class B who is actually quite popular among the female students.

"Good afternoon, Saionji-senpai," Satonaka greeted.

"Good afternoon, Ayase-chan," Saionji returned the greeting cheerfully. "And you too Kurose-kun, I didn't expect to see you again in this room..."

I also didn't expect that you would refer to me specifically. I felt awkward about it. Kasai once said that the student council would never ignore me again, but it kind of weirded me out when someone suddenly acted too familiar like this, especially if that person is the vice president of the student council.

"Sit down, we're almost starting..." Saionji-senpai invited us to sit while pointing to four chairs beside class B. Satonaka took the seat next to Osamu-sensei. The two greeted each other as she sat down, while Nanahara sat next to her, and then me and Shionome-sensei sat at the end seats.

"All the representatives are here," said Teiichi. "The witnesses were also waiting in the next room. Should we get started?"

"Wait a moment," Saionji-senpai interrupted. "I just heard that there is still one more person who hasn't arrived yet,"

"Huh?" Teiichi looked surprised and so did the rest of us. "But each class is only supposed to be represented by three people, and it looks like they're all here."

"No, Higashi-kun there's still one more person who hasn't arrived yet..."

Before Saionji-senpai could provide further explanation, the door suddenly opened. We all automatically turned our eyes to see who entered the room. Two people stepped into the room. One was a sleepy-looking middle-aged man we already knew because he taught chemistry to us. Next to him was a disciple who was not very tall but walked with the arrogance that defeated a lion. My eyes widened when I saw this person's arrival.

"Good afternoon, everyone, I hope I'm not too late..." the man said with a grin on his face.

Suddenly Seiji Evans asked him, half exclaiming. "Ishikawa, what are you doing here?"

Apparently, they already knew each other. Well, I've also heard some rumors about him myself so it's not surprising that everyone here has heard his name at least once. The story about how he took over class D by force is still fresh in all of our ears.

This is a development I didn't expect. Ishikawa Sousuke, the leader of class D has come accompanied by his homeroom teacher, Endou Hiroshi-sensei. The grin on his face seemed to grow wider after hearing Seiji's question. "Of course I will come here, one of my classmates will be a witness."

"You don't need to come if she's just a witness," his voice was still calm, but it was clear that Seiji didn't like this person's presence at all. Well, I can't blame him because I also feel worried about his sudden arrival.