Chapter 35: Testimony

After we finished investigating the construction site we agreed to go to lunch together. Coincidentally, the place chosen by Fujimori-san was the Greenhouse café. It was the same café where we almost quarreled with Fujimori-san's classmate. Did she bring us here on purpose?

"My friends weren't kidding when they said that the view here is really nice..." Fujimori-san said while looking around. Higashi-kun next to her didn't seem to care that much, perhaps because his mind was busy with the problems we were facing together.

"I agree, this place makes you feel calm," I said. This may not be the right time for small talk but still, I agree with her.

"Do you come here often?" asked the brown-haired girl.

"Only a few times, but if you like it, I can recommend some drinks or cakes for you,"

"Oh, that would be nice," Fujimori-san smiled sweetly. Her smile was very bright and friendly like a mother, and it made me a little envious.

I suggested several menus to Fujimori-san and Higashi-kun

I suggested several menus to Fujimori-san and Higashi-kun. Rika-chan ended up ordering the same thing she always ordered, while Fujimori-san followed my suggestion. Higashi-kun ordered the most standard meal while Yukiharu-kun spent a lot of time looking at it.

"Can't decide yet?" I asked the black-haired boy on my left.

"Hm...yeah. Everything looks delicious..."

"The carbonara here is pretty good too, try that," I suggested and the guy nodded.

"Okay, then I'll order," Yukiharu-kun immediately wrote down all of our orders then took them downstairs and Higashi-kun came with him. Payment is usually made when we leave.

"I've heard about you a lot, Shiraishi-san," Fujimori-san said kindly. "But I still don't know this one very well, Hayashi Rika-san, right? You've been quiet since earlier, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

It seems Fujimori-san seems to want to get to know us better. Was she just being friendly or perhaps she had another intention? Ah, Saki, what are you doing? I shouldn't suspect people for no reason. We're here to talk about something important, so it feels a little strange to see her continue making small talk like this. Hm, she could have waited for Yukiharu-kun to come back so he could listen too. Even if she turns out to be unwilling to talk, we can still ask Higashi-kun.

Meanwhile, Rika-chan becomes a little uneasy when someone shows sudden interest in her like this. She doesn't talk much, and other people don't often talk to her, but that's not because they don't like her. Rika-chan does give the impression of being difficult to approach, but she's actually a good girl.

"Um..." Rika-chan didn't know what to say. It's difficult when a quiet person seems to be spoken to by someone you just met. Maybe I should help her.

"Rika-chan isn't used to talking about herself, how about you start by asking something?" It felt like I was teaching two kindergarten children who were just learning how to get to know each other.