Chapter 32: Troublemaker

Since the announcement of the S-system last May, all students have tried not to come late. Usually, five minutes before the teacher's arrival, everyone should already be in class. Unfortunately today there was one empty seat whose occupants had not been seen even when sensei had entered the class.

"Don't tell me she skipped class again?" Shinji muttered.

It seems that the approach taken by Satonaka yesterday has backfired. If Nanahara had stayed in the dormitory, there was less chance of her getting caught up in someone's schemes. However, our class points will be reduced if she keeps skipping school without a word. I hope there's some tolerance for people who miss a day.

As Sensei took the podium, she looked at us all with a calm and serious face and that of course made everyone feel tense. Shionome-sensei glanced at...me? Oh, no...not me, she looked at Nanahara's bench.

"Nanahara Mari-san hasn't come yet?" she asked.

Several pairs of eyes began to follow Sensei's line of sight. Satonaka herself also glanced back with a guilty look on her face. Maybe she felt that their conversation yesterday was what made Nanahara decide to skip classes. It's not her fault, instead, I'm the one to blame.

Even so, teachers usually don't bother with students who skip classes. If Sensei were to inquire about it, it would mean that something had happened. I glanced at Kasai next to me who was sitting casually and without showing any reaction.

"If any of you have her number, you are welcome to contact her. Ask her if she really can't come to school or if she's just a little late."

The class returned to silence as a few of us exchanged glances. It seems neither of us has her number. Now I'm starting to feel worried because Sensei even told us to contact her. Something must have happened.

Shionome-sensei sighed softly. "Okay, if no one has her number I hope at least one of you can meet her after school and help her regarding what I'm going to tell you at this point."

"Um, sensei...did something happen?" Satonaka asked what was on all of our minds. This is bad, because yesterday my classmate witnessed how Nanahara spoke quite rudely to Satonaka, and now she's already in trouble. I can feel the restlessness of my friends because of this news.

"Yes, this morning we received a report that it seems Nanahara-san got into a fight with a student from class 1-A."

Satonaka was stunned. Meanwhile, I can only sigh when I hear it. Given the girl's temperament, I knew something like this was going to happen (in fact, I almost fell victim). That's what worried me to the point of asking for Satonaka's help. Unfortunately, even though I already know I still fail to prevent it. Will Kasai be disappointed in me? Well, maybe.

"Sensei, is that true?" Satonaka tried to make sure.

"Yesterday a class A student was found injured and unconscious and now he's still in the hospital. We also received reports that yesterday Nanahara-san was seen chasing the student around the road leading to the dorms."

The explanation from sensei made my classmates even more restless. Some of them even started to look annoyed at the possibility of violations that had been committed by Nanahara. Not to mention because of the rumors that she also beat up three girls from class D. I could hear the whispers of some people who started complaining about Nanahara's behavior. That's bad, if this keeps up she could be isolated by the whole class. Right now things were not going in Nanahara's favor, but there was one person who thought differently.

"Heh, serve him right!" Kazami exclaimed in satisfaction. "That class has been acting self-important lately. No wonder one of them got beat up."

What Kazami said wasn't surprising either. Nee-chan at some point also complained to Teiichi about Class A's behavior. Unfortunately saying things like that would only irritate the other student even more.