Chapter 19: Mid-term Exam

Three days before the midterm exams, Satonaka gathered the tutors to listen to their progress reports. That night I called Sawatari to ask her about the outcome of the meeting. As the midterms were just around the corner, I could feel a bit of tension in her voice.

"How was the meeting?" I asked.

Sawatari sighed over the phone. "We simply reporting our progress."

"So... is there a problem?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Because right now my status is like a casual worker in class C. If there's a problem, maybe I can help."

Sawatari was silent for a few moments before finally answering. "Everyone is improving, but some students are still having difficulties in certain subjects. Kazami-kun is terrible at English, his math is even worse, and so is Togashi-kun. Your friend Iwa-kun is almost as bad."

Of course, a month will not be enough to improve grades in all subjects. It's no wonder that Sawatari is tense. I'm sure Satonaka is currently also feeling nervous about it.

"Not to mention that thanks to someone's actions, we don't know anything about Nanahara-san."

"Hey, you saw the improvement back then, right?"

"Yes, but that still doesn't guarantee that she will study her own."

"I told you already, you don't need to worry about Nanahara."

"Why are you so lenient towards that girl? You have a crush on her?"

What the? Seriously? No, on second thought it wasn't that weird if she thought so. I admit, I did go a little soft on her, but for a different reason.

"Of course not," I countered. "I just thought that if I get too hard on her, she would just fight me back tenfold."

"But you have no problem getting rough with Kazami?"

"...That...the idea wasn't mine. It was Shinji's idea, after all, Kazami was a thug, so it didn't matter if he got beaten once or twice. Different people require different ways to handle them."

"Whatever."

"So... do you think they can pass the midterms or not?"

"...No, they won't be able to." Wow, that's a bit harsh even though I agree with her.

"So you have a plan or something?" I asked. I already have a plan myself but I also want to hear Sawatari's solution. Who knows if she happens to have a good idea.

"We have no choice but to use the remaining time to focus on each student's weakest subjects."

"Isn't it bad to stress them out right before the test?"

"Indeed, but what other options do we have?"

So in the end it was up to me to save them. Even if I kept quiet, surely tomorrow Satonaka would call me for advice. However if tell them too soon, then it's possible that some of them might change their mind on the day of the exam. I can only speak on the last day.

"Actually I have an idea."

"Really?" Sawatari asked in a skeptical tone.

"Yes. It's pretty simple but I'm not going to say it now."

"Why? Midterm exams are only three days away. If you don't say now then when?"

"Don't worry, you'll know soon enough."

"But, don't you think we'll need to prep—"

"I told you, my idea is very simple. We won't need any preparation. Just wait until I call you again."