Chapter 28: Birthday Party

"So everything's ready?" I asked in a half whisper to Saki-chan who was writing something in her notebook.

"Yes," Saki-chan replied cheerfully. Today she looks very excited. "I've rented the biggest room. After school, the others will go there."

"But someone has to distract Kyouko-chan. Who will do it?"

"Of course, we will. If her closest friends suddenly disappeared, she'd be suspicious right?"

"Okay, but I thought you'd be in the karaoke room setting up the place. At least someone should be there to supervise."

"Masaki-kun will do it, right Masaki-kun?"

"Yes...." Masaki-kun who was sitting next to us answered half-heartedly. Somehow, he seemed not as excited as us. Though usually, he looks so firm and serious.

"What's wrong Masaki-kun, why do you look so gloomy?" I asked.

Masaki Akio is probably the most influential man in this class. If Saki-chan is the class leader, then Masaki-kun is the vice leader. He is a very serious and intelligent person. He always gives logical suggestions and Saki-chan put a lot of trust in him. Unfortunately for some reason, he looks pretty tired, or simply deep in thought.

 Unfortunately for some reason, he looks pretty tired, or simply deep in thought

"Don't worry, Kurose-san," Masaki-kun replied. "I'm just a little tired. We'll be having a match with other schools after the summer break, so we've been training extra hard lately. Looks like I need to take a break after this."

Masaki-kun is a member of the soccer club. He has been playing since elementary school so his body is very athletic. This guy is good at sports, smart brain, and is also good-looking. He reminds me a bit of Yukiharu, the difference is that he is much more serious and tidier, while my brother was chill and a bit messy.

"But I still don't understand," said Masaki-kun. "Why I'm the one who organizes the room? I have no experience in arranging a birthday party. Wouldn't it be better to ask someone else?"

"You're a meticulous person," Saki-chan answered. "So you're going to keep them from messing things up. We don't want our surprise to be ruined just because someone can't stay still."

"Well, if you say so..."

Actually, if I were Kyouko-chan, I would have guessed that they were planning a surprise party. Of course, I would feign ignorance to appreciate my friends' efforts. They were probably also aware of that, which was why they had prepared a second surprise.

Yesterday Saki-chan also invited Yuki. My brother had promised to come with his friend, Minami-kun. He's gonna be the second surprise. That also means Yuki and Masaki-kun will meet at the party later. I was a little worried because Masaki had once expressed concern about my brother's existence in the other class. He said that the relationship would be burdensome in the future and that really offended me. Masaki already apologized for what he said and I forgive him but I'm still worried about what will happen. I hope the two of them can get along without any problems.