Chapter 17: Mini-test

The next day Kazami came to school with his face covered in band-aids. It shocked the whole class. Even Shionome-sensei also asked what happened to him and Kazami lied that he fell down the stairs. Even though he didn't seem to believe that excuse, Shionome sensei didn't say anything. Me and Shinji pretended to be stupid and acted like innocent cute boys. Satonaka also acted like she didn't know anything but there were some people who suspected us. For example Tsukimi who had already seen us go to the roof or Sawatari who was currently glancing at us with suspicious eyes. Shinji and I tried our best to ignore it. At last we have completed our task.

Kazami had promised to come to the study session this afternoon, now it was just Nanahara. That morning I couldn't concentrate on my studies because I kept thinking about how to persuade Nanahara. This time I couldn't use violence like Shinji did to Kazami. Nanahara may be a fighter and probably have some endurance, but that's not the point. If I dared to throw my hands at a girl—regardless of how strong the girl is—then my school life here would definitely end.

Verbally persuading her will also be difficult. The current Nanahara doesn't believe me. She didn't even return my greeting at the morning. I've given my word to Sawatari that I will take the two delinquents with me this afternoon, but right now I'm almost at my wit's end. Should I challenge her to a game? No, I'm sure she'll just ignore me. The same method will not work twice.

If I wanted to get her attention, I might need some help. Nanahara doesn't trust other people, and considering what she's been through I don't blame her. Maybe she'd open up more if I asked another girl for help, but who? Satonaka was busy teaching other students, Miwa also had to study, and so did Nee-chan. The only one I could possibly ask for help is Kasai, but why would she help me. Me and Kasai are having a bet. If any students were expelled then she would win, so she had no reason to help me. Maybe I should just try my luck for now. If it fails then I ask for help.

At lunchtime, some of us would go to the cafeteria, some would eat bento in class either with friends or alone. Nanahara is often seen carrying lunch, but she never eats in class. She's also rarely seen in the cafeteria so maybe she has her own lunch spot. That's why when lunch time came I...decided to follow her.

I walked and following Nanahara from afar. We're currently still inside the school where a lot of students are still hanging around, so it shouldn't be strange if Nanahara saw me in the crowd when she turned around. The problem is when she was already outside the building.

Nanahara took the path past the garden and gymnase. There is a small park which is not very popular because it is a bit far from the park in front of the school. It was there that Nanahara decided to spend her lunch time. She took his place on a bench near a tree behind the gymnase building and started to open his lunch box, I saw that the box contained three rather thick sandwiches. She also brought a box of chocolate milk.

It felt a bit uneasy when I had to interrupt her lunch time. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice either. Time is running out and if possible I want her to attend the study group this afternoon.

I decided to approach her. I hope she doesn't run away when she sees me. Today is still spring but for some reason the temperature has started to rise. If Nanahara doesn't mind, maybe I can sit together on that cool-looking park bench.

"Hey, Nanahara..." I called her. The girl turned towards me and instantly her face became sour. She quickly packed up her unfinished lunch. I hastily stopped her before she could stand up. "No, no, don't go. Just carry on eating. God, you're being so rude. What did I do wrong for you to treat me like this?"

"What do you want?" Nanahara asked warily.

"I just want to talk."

"I don't want to talk to you."