Chapter 25: Her Secret

Not long after Kasai left, I was startled by the banging on my door. It seems someone didn't notice the bell button next to my door. When I looked at the intercom, apparently it was my sister. What does she want at this time? Without thinking I opened the door and Nee-chan immediately barged in.

"Who is that girl?"

I was taken aback by her sudden question. It took a moment for my brain to process what was going on, and I remembered that Kasai had just left this room. Nee-chan probably met her on the elevator.

"What girl?" that's the answer that comes out reflexively from my mouth, even though I already know what she means.

"Don't play dumb," Nee-chan reproached. "There is a girl who just came out of here. Teiichi and I met her in the elevator. She said she just had dinner at your place, and it was just the two of you."

I sighed. Kasai said something unnecessary. "She just wanted to ask my help with something, believe me, we didn't do anything weird."

Nee-chan started looking around my room. Maybe she was looking for signs of something happening. I let her look at my room as much as she want while I walked around her and closed the door.

"You know me, Nee-chan," I said while I sit on the floor, right beside my coffee table. "You think I would do something indecent with a girl I've only met recently?"

Nee-chan clicked her tongue and then sat next to me. "That's not what I'm afraid of. I heard that you were inquired by the student council yesterday."

So she already heard of it, huh. I hope this news doesn't reach the ears of the other class students, but it seems that wish is too good to be true. I should have known that Nee-chan would hear it sooner or later.

"Yes, that's true, but don't worry it's all over..."

"You should have told me," Nee-chan said bitterly. "Even Teiichi-kun doesn't say anything. Why do you guys sideline me every time this kind of thing happened?"

Oh no. She started giving me those looks. Now I'm starting to feel guilty. I never meant to distance myself from her.

"I just don't want you to worry," I said honestly. "Besides, the case has been closed, I am no longer under suspicion."

"Why do you ever get suspected in the first place?"

"That...I don't understand either, I'm most likely framed." By Kasai to be precise but there's no way I'm going to explain what actually happened. Sorry Nee-chan but you really shouldn't know anything about this.

"And also about the girl earlier...what exactly are you talking about with her?"

"Well..." I wanted to say that it was a private matter, but it seemed Nee-chan would just worry more if I kept too many things hidden from her. That's why it's better if I her tell a little bit of our conversation. They say the best lies are those mixed with a little bit of truth.

"Because of yesterday's case, Kasai was worried that something similar would happen again, so she asked me to keep an eye on some of my classmates who might become victims of a similar case."

"Is that true?" Nee-chan looked into my eyes. Trying to find the lies behind it and I can't avoid her gaze. After a few moments, she sighed. "I don't know what exactly happened but I hope you're not involving yourself in anything dangerous."

"Don't worry Nee-chan. I will be fine." I'm sorry, but I've already gotten involved in something that even I don't fully understand myself.

"Hope you're right," Nee-chan muttered as she walked towards the door. "It's getting late so I'll be back now. Next time something happens, make sure to talk to me."