Higashi Teiichi's SS: Siblings

My family is not rich. My father is the owner of a small ramen restaurant and my mother works to help him. I have six younger siblings. We are not rich people, but at least we can still meet our needs until now. At least for now.

One day my father fell ill and my mother had to handle the restaurant alone. He eventually recover but still had to check himself into the hospital once every month. To lighten their burden, we as their children also help out at the restaurant. Even so, my mother prefers me to study. She always asked me to keep studying again and again. If I can enter a good university, and graduate with good honors, then I will also be accepted into a good job with a big salary. That way I can help the family economy a little. We are not in too much trouble now, but it's a different story in the future. As my younger siblings grow up, we will need more and more money to send them to school.

My life story is not something new. Stories like this happen to millions of people out there. Many people end up failing, but there are also many who succeed despite having a much worse life than I did. That's why I can't complain. I tried my best to live up to my family's expectations and tried my best.

In the end, my efforts yielded some results. I was accepted at a school that is said to be one of the best schools in the country. The school is known as ANHS or Advanced Nurturing High School which is located on an artificial island in the bay of Tokyo. If I could graduate from this school then my life would be guaranteed. I can go to any university I want, or be accepted into any company and institution I want.

Besides me, my two neighbors were also accepted at the school. They are named Yukiharu and Yukie, twins who have been my friends since childhood. I'm so happy because I can be together with them. Especially since it's a boarding school and we can't have any contact with our families. Our parents can at least be a little more relieved when we are together.

Currently, our family is having dinner together to celebrate our acceptance into ANHS. Yukiharu and Yukie also came with their mother. My mom made hot pot and we enjoyed it together.

As usual, our parents talked warmly and my mother occasionally reprimanded my younger siblings when they started to make too much noise. The oldest of my younger siblings, Tomoko is feeding my second youngest sister, Tomie. The youngest child Terumi is currently sitting pretty on my mother's lap. Tooru and Tatsuo were trying to annoy Yukiharu who was continuing to eat quietly without ever minding them. Meanwhile, Takemi was busy chatting with Yukie.

Yukie and Yukiharu both inherited their mother's beauty. My friends are often jealous because I have a close relationship with Yukie. They didn't believe me when I told them that our relationship was just platonic. Even my mother and younger siblings also misunderstood our relationship and once asked me when I was going to ask her out. Takemi and Tomoko idolized her, even Takemi once said she wanted to be as beautiful as her when she grew up. It was Yukie who taught them how to dress up and wear makeup.

Yukiharu always looks gloomy, but he's actually the most easy-going human I've ever known. He is good at sports and resourceful. Behind his lazy attitude, he is actually very talented. My younger siblings like to take him to play ball and sometimes he helps my father when he is got nothing to do. He is quite close to his traveling uncle and might want to follow in his footsteps, but his mother would disapprove. Yukiharu was really loved by his mother and she was a little protective towards him. My mom thinks it's because Yukiharu reminds her of her late husband.

I consider these two people like my own siblings. The three of us grew up together, and for the first time will leave our parents together to study elsewhere. To be honest, I was a little worried for my family because we weren't allowed to contact them while studying at ANHS. But my parents convinced me not to worry too much. I also feel sorry for the mother of the twins who will be left alone. I hope my mother can continue to accompany her so that she will not be too lonely. Three years is not a short time, especially for teenagers like us. A lot will surely change when we return.

***

Today is our departure day. My whole family follows us to the bus stop. Because our entrance ceremony is a bit earlier than other schools, so my younger siblings can also come. Tomoko and Takemi are hugging Yukie while crying.

"Yukie nee-chan. How come you can't send letters? Why did you go to school like that?" Takemi protested while hugging her tightly. I myself still do not understand the contact ban. Yukie tries her best to comfort them with her motherly side. Although at other times she could just act like a child.

"Just watch, Yuki-nii. When you come back, I'll be even taller," Tooru exclaimed while pointing at Yukiharu. My friend just smiled while ruffling my brother's head.

"Teiichi-kun, come here." Auntie, Yukiharu's mother is calling me. I comply and walked to her.

"Teiichi, please watch over Yukiharu. Tell him not to daydream too much, and please reprimand him if he starts to get lazy, and don't let him get involved with bad students..."

"Mother, please..." Yukiharu groaned. I saw that he looked embarrassed by his mother's attitude. Yukiharu always looks like a kid at times like this.

"Hahaha..." my father behind started laughing. "You worry too much. Yukiharu is a big man now. Let him learn to take care of himself."

"You do not understand. This boy still often forgets himself like his father. When he is fixated on something he tends to forget everything. Besides, I'm afraid that other students will take advantage of him..."

"Oh, Lord...Mom, I went to school, not to another country."

Yukie and I just chuckled. Auntie's worry is a bit too much but I understand her feelings. She won't be seeing her two kids for three years so I don't blame her for being like this.

Our bus is coming. The three of us received the last bit of advice from our parents. We hugged them one by one and then got on the bus. I saw them one last time as the bus started moving. They all waved our way. When they started to disappear from sight, I caught a glimpse of Auntie who started to wipe her tears. My heart sank when I see it.

I'm not going home empty-handed. I will study at school as well as I can and come back as one of the best graduates. After that, I will definitely go to a good university and then get a good job too. Then I will help my parents to send my younger siblings to school so that they become people who are greater than me. I'm going to move forward, and not just for them, but also for the two people sitting next to me. They too are also my siblings.

***