Chapter 14: Study Group

The following day, the homeroom session was shortened. Satonaka asked Shionome-sensei to give her a little time to talk to the rest of the class. Of course, Satonaka could have used the time before homeroom to announce the study group, but she deliberately delayed it until sensei arrived because it seemed she wanted to ask something.

All eyes were on Satonaka as the girl walked to the front of the class. Shionome-sensei happily gave her the podium and took her place at the side of the class. Satonaka thanked her and then looked around the class.

"Everyone, I believe you all understand our current situation. We will be having our first challenge in this school and that will be the midterms." Satonaka opened her speech and everyone listened solemnly. Even the normally ignorant students were also listening intently. Satonaka continued.

"As explained yesterday, this school punishes students who fail the exams by being expelled immediately. Not to mention that we also still have to compete with other classes for the position of class A." The atmosphere in the class immediately changed when Satonaka mentioned the word 'expelled.' Everyone felt nervous because they were afraid of the risk of being expelled from school just for failing a test.

"Even so, we don't  need to be nervous. I'm sure we can get through this together as a class. Me and a few other students have also made plans for the midterm exams. But before I explain further, I want to ask sensei a few things..." Satonaka turned to Shionome-sensei who was keeping an eye on us with a smile.

"Ask what you want to ask. I will answer as much as I can."

"Alright then, first of all, in previous years, was it possible for class C and D to surpass class A?"

Shionome-sensei was silent for a moment before answering. "Currently for the third and second year, class A status is still held by the same class."

I heard the students start whispering to each other. This information implies that class A tends to maintain its position until the third year. That fact is a hit to our confidence. I could hear desperate sighs from the students, some even started to openly complain about how unfair the situation was.

"However, it wasn't always like that in the past." The students started raising their gloomy faces toward sensei. This is but a speck of hope but perhaps enough to motivate this class.

"What happened to the other years?"

"There were cases where Class B toppled the Class A and held the position of the new Class A until graduation."

"And what about the bottom two classes? Is there a case where they can rival class A and B?"

It seemed Satonaka really believed that there must be a lower class climbing up the rankings. She planned to use that to encourage the other students. Not a bad plan. If lower classes can't catch up with higher class, then the school system is arguably unfair. It is impossible for a school that has been running for more than twenty-five years to continue to operate a highly flawed system. This means, the case where lower classes climb the ranks must happen at some point.

"...There is."

"Is it true?"

"Yes. The most extreme case was about seven years ago. There's a Class D that started its first year with zero points."

The whole class was in an uproar. Class D for our year still has at least 150 class points. I thought that was already the worst, it turns out that there are also classes that are much more wasteful.

"The class was considered the most defective class, but unexpectedly, nearing the second year, the class turned things around and climbed the rankings until they became Class B. It was one of the most intense competitions in the history of this school. Their class leader even became the student council."