Chapter 31: Snare

I've been feeling something strange lately. Every time I go to school I always feel something is odd. Actually, I'm also not sure why I still diligently go to school. For some reason, it feels like I'm being watched. I noticed that some of my classmates occasionally glanced at me, especially when I was outside of class. Every time I go back to the dormitory, I always take an alternative route that is not used by many people but for some reason, some girls from my class started to take the same road. It felt as if I was being followed. I don't know if this is related or not but some decided to approach me right after the class ended.

"Nanahara-san, can we talk for a bit?" Satonaka—our class rep in all but name—suddenly talked to me before I left the class. Normally this girl would just leave me alone, but I seem to have done something that has caught her attention.

"What do you want?" I said. I realized some of the students around me were staring at us. The girls among them started whispering to each other as if displeased with the way I spoke to their beloved class president. Ugh, this is why I don't like popular people. One little mistake and everyone hates you, although in my case I think they just didn't like me from the start.

"I just want to talk for a bit, just the two of us...can I?" Satonaka was still speaking in a friendly tone. Unlike the girl from the other day, I don't feel the fakeness behind it. She didn't look as suspicious as Kurose either. Unfortunately, I have no interest in talking with her. When she approached me I saw that Kurose also glanced at me, don't tell me he's behind this. He knew I wanted nothing to do with him so he asked this girl for help.

"Sorry, but I don't have time for you, I have to go..." I ended the conversation while walking out of the classroom accompanied by the stares of several people who started to sneer. Unexpectedly Satonaka chased after me.

"Wait,...Nanahara-san. If you really can't talk right now, then how about we walk together? I also feel like going home earlier today..."

I stopped in my tracks and sighed. "Did Kurose tell you to do this?"

"...Um...what?"

I immediately turned to face her. "Which part of what I'm saying that you don't understand? We hardly ever talked before this and suddenly you wanted to walk with me? It must be because of what happened between me and those class D bitches right? Kurose must have told you. I've told you guys again and again that I want nothing to do with any of you. My patience is running out, so you better go back to Kurose and tell him that he will taste my kick if he keeps bothering me,"

Some of the students who were passing by started to stare at us. Some even stopped to look around out of curiosity but soon continued walking when they saw my eyes glaring at them. We've attracted attention but so be it. Let them know I am already fed up with all this.

The girl in front of me was stunned to hear my threat. I hope she gets the message and doesn't come near me again. Unfortunately, before I could turn around, this girl still dared to speak. Apparently, my warning is still not rough enough.

"You're right, Kurose-kun asked me, and he did it out of concern. You must remember what happened to him after the midterms, right? We just don't want something similar to happen again. Trust me, we just want to help—"

"I never asked for your help," I cut her off while turning away. "What happens to me is my own business, now please just let me be."

After saying that I got up and left Satonaka who was trying to call me but I didn't care. I don't know what kind of face she makes as I walk away, nor do I want to know. At least this time she's not trying to chase me again.

I walked and walked on in a hurry. I want to get back to my room and get my mind off all this nonsense. They started to make a fuss about that time, even though it was none of their business. What the hell is "for the good of the class?" In the end, you just don't want to run out of pocket money, do you? Even though some are as kind as Satonaka, I'm sure that when the time comes, she will definitely prioritize herself and her friends over someone like me.