Chapter 24: Dinner

Today is quite tiring. Not only because of student council matters but also because I was asked by Takada sensei to provide a little help in the staff room. Apparently, another teacher took advantage of my presence and asked me to help sort out the documents she was supposed to be responsible for. Luckily I was saved by another teacher who came to reprimand her.

Now I'm on the elevator to my room. After this, I'll have dinner, study for an hour, watch a few videos then sleep. Tonight I want to unwind as much as I can.

The elevator stopped on the sixth floor and I walked out to my room. When I got closer, I saw Yukie standing in front of my door. What is she doing here? She turned to me, why does she look angry? Gosh, I just realized. This must be about Yukiharu.

"Higashi Teichi!" she shouted as she trotted towards me. "I just found out what happened yesterday? What the hell was that? Why did my brother get examined by the Student Council? What exactly did you do to him huh?"

"Calm down...calm down, Yukie," my friend really tends to lose her mind when she's annoyed. I have to calm her down before she causes a scene. "How about we talk inside?"

"Why would I want to talk in your room, you bastard traitor!"

"Whoa, wait a second! You know that Yukiharu is cleared of all suspicions, right?"

"You should have helped him avoid a trial in the first place!"

"You're asking too much. It's not me who makes the decision."

"Still, why would Yuki be suspected? You know him. You of all people should know better that he wouldn't do something like that."

"Well...it's quite complicated, I don't really understand either. Look, if you want me to tell you everything I know, fine, I will...but not here."

After a little arguing, in the end, I managed to persuade her to talk inside. Yukie sat with a grumpy face in my room and refused the little snack I offered her. In the end, I gave up on offering my hospitality and just gave her what she wanted. I told her the sequence of events from beginning to end in as much detail as possible so that she would be satisfied.

"Is someone trying to frame him?" asked Yukie, still with an irritated face.

"It could be, I am also confused why his contacts appear in their phones."

Yukie seemed to think for a moment. I understand her feelings. I too can barely sleep because of this case. Someone out there is playing a big game for real.

"Why don't you testify for him?" she snapped.

"What testimony can I give, Yukie? I'm not with him all the time. Besides, my defense probably won't be accepted because of my friendship with Yukiharu. The worst case is, they gonna treat me as his accomplice."

"Ugh..." Yukie groaned in frustration. "This is a big accusation. I'm worried he'll be shunned by his classmates."

"Looks like you don't have to worry about that. Yukiharu has been proven innocent, they have no reason to stay away from him."

"Don't underestimate people's tendency to judge others," Yukie admonished. "Right now it might be safe, but if he gets into trouble again in the future, they'll definitely bring this up."

"Why do you have to be so pessimistic? I think Yukiharu gets along quite well with his classmates."

"You can't guarantee that all 40 people in that class like Yukiharu. Feelings of envy and selfishness are more common than you might think. I wouldn't be surprised if one of his classmates gets involved in this case."