Chapter 7 : Class Leader

"What question?" the man asked while looking at me.

I crouched before that pitiful bastard. "First, why you're trying to threaten Nanahara?"

"That one can wait," Kasai interrupted. "I'll explain after this. Let's just get on with the more important stuff."

I looked at her a little surprised. My suspicions of this girl grew a bit but I decided to comply. "There are many things about this school that feel odd. I need you to explain everything to me."

He looked at me for a few moments before finally smiling a little. "Of course, you're still a first year. You must be curious about a lot of things."

"Are you willing to answer?"

"No," he glared at me. "You're doing something pointless, the school has very strict rules about this, even teachers will be dealt with harshly if they dare to leak some info. After all, you will know everything without asking me."

He's right. If my theory is correct, then in the next month the number of points we receive should decrease. It was a good time for the teachers to explain the hidden rules of this school.

"That will only happen if they find out," Kasai argued. "As long as no one finds out that the info came from you, there won't be any problem. You have no choice but to speak now anyway."

Kasai waved her cell phone and the man stared back at Kasai with hateful eyes. "How do I know you won't betray me?"

"We wouldn't, senpai. We will also get in trouble if they knew that we were blackmailing you."

He looked like he still couldn't believe it. The man stared at Kasai for a few moments before finally letting out a resigned sigh. "How much do you guys already know."

I explained everything. Starting from the free stuff at the convenience store and my suspicion of the point system and so on. The man looked at me as if he didn't believe what I was saying. "It seems you are way smarter than your look. Ah, I just remembered, there was a rumor that a first-year student had managed to see through the rules. So you're the one..."

I also thought of the group of students who watched over me at the convenience store on the first day. Now I understand the meaning of their stares. Apparently, my little observation amazed a few senpais.

"Well, you were right about everything. The points you get will indeed be deducted for the offense you and your classmates committed."

"So you're saying one person's offense will impact the entire class?"

"Of course. You guys are judged as a group. If someone makes a mistake you all will suffer the consequences, mostly not directly but still" he explained. "Now you know that your assumptions have been correct. What else do you want to know?"

"Class division, are there any special criteria that affect one's class placement?"

The man smiled bitterly. "If it's about that even I still don't understand. When I first came to this school, I was in class C—"

"Was?" I interrupted. "Can you change classes?"

"Of course, you can, but you misunderstood a little. I didn't change classes, but my class was promoted."

Class promotion? "What do you mean by promoted?"

"You remember how this school always advertised itself as a school with a 100% acceptance rate in any job, any college for its alumni? Now I'll tell you, it's all bullshit! The only ones who are entitled to those benefits are the students who graduate as class A."