Chapter 30: Superiority Complex

A new cafe in the school just opened when I enroll. The cafe has its own building separate from Keyaki Mall and has a wide and cool balcony. The view is very nice because you can see the ocean and Tokyo Bay from there.

That day Saki-chan wanted to discuss a study plan for the final exams. After enjoying yesterday's party it was annoying to have to hear the word 'exam'. Unfortunately given the risk we are facing all of this is necessary.

Actually, I wasn't part of this meeting, but Masaki-kun wasn't feeling well and I happened to meet him who had just come out of the clinic with a bag of medicine in his hand. He then asked me to deliver some materials to the meeting (the word choice was very formal), and I said yes out of pity even though I was actually quite lazy to do it. I thought the material he meant was just notes or a few sheets of print out but instead, he gave me a pile of paper whose contents I didn't understand at all.

I walked from the dorm feeling irritated. Too bad Yuki was out, otherwise, I would have called him to help me out. Not to mention that the sun, for some reason chose to shine brighter today. Gosh, it's getting hotter and hotter every day. I want to lock myself in my room all day under the caress of the air conditioner. After getting there maybe I'll stay a while to order a cold drink.

"Kurose-san?" a masculine voice called out to me. I know this voice. When I turned around Minami-kun—who for some reason was still wearing his beanie in this hot weather—came over.

"Minami-kun, how are you!" I tried to sound as cheerful as possible even though I felt averse to chatting in a place like this. "You're not with Yuki?"

"No, he said he had important business, he's been busy lately."

Yes, I feel it too. Yuki, who is usually lazy, is now more involved with class matters. Ever since the last midterm exam, somehow a sense of responsibility seemed to have started to grow. I wonder what made him like that.

"Where are you going?—Ah, sorry if I sound too meddling..." Why did he sound clumsy today? It doesn't match his image at all.

"Oh, it's okay. We already know each other, after all. I'm on my way to the cafe."

"If you don't mind...I can accompany you. That bag looks heavy."

"Eh, it's okay the cafe is close." That's what I'm saying, but I'm grateful that he offered to help. Luckily Minami-kun is a gentleman. On the one hand, I also feel a little guilty for taking advantage of Kyouko-chan's crush. Well, he was just carrying stuff for me so I guess it's fine.

"Oh, uh...fine then..." Whaaaaat? Don't give up right away! You're a man, right? I don't seriously want to refuse your help! Also, you look disappointed, I know you really want to help so please don't back down. Ukh, if it's like this then it can't be helped.

"Actually... this bag is a bit heavy..." I said while swallowing my pride whole. Minami-kun was of course stunned by my change in attitude and after that, he just laughed.

"You could have said that from the start, there's no need to be so polite with me,"

Aagh! This is embarrassing! I should have just let him go, but I'm too lazy to bring this bag to the cafe. Well, at least he's not clumsy anymore. Showing a bit of mistakes can indeed help to break the ice. Minami-kun immediately asked for the bag and I gave it to him with an awkward, forced smile. Now our position seems to be reversed.

"You're at the cafe, right? So what is all this paper for?" Minami-kun asked after looking inside the paper bag.

"We're having some sort of meeting, you know...for the final exams."

"So you studied there?"

"Not really, usually we study at a café that is closer to the dorm or in the library. It's just that this time Saki-chan wants to try a new place."