Chapter 26: His Regard

I'm used to being alone. Every day when the school bell rang I would walk back to the dorms or maybe someplace where I could be alone and reflect. People might think that this is a miserable life, but I don't care. It's better this way and they have no right to judge me.

That day, as usual, my class became noisy every time the teacher left the class. They started discussing what they were going to do when they got home. They might be playing in the mall or in their room and that's none of my business. I'm just going to get up and go back to my room like I've always done. I won't meddle in their business and they shouldn't meddle in mine either. Unfortunately, some idiots will never understand such a simple rule.

"Nanahara, are you busy after this?" Kurose, the messy-haired man sitting in front of me asked in a friendly tone. I've made it clear that I'm not interested in being friendly with him but this guy never seems to give up.

"No," I answered honestly. "But I have no interest in doing anything with you."

Kurose is probably the most suspicious boy in this class. Some time ago he secretly recorded my conversation with that bastard Kumoi under the pretext of wanting to help me. Then during the midterms, he also tried to persuade me to join the study group. At first glance,e he might sound like a nice guy who wants to take care of his friends but I still have a hard time believing it, especially after what happened recently. I don't really understand, but Kurose-kun was being investigated by the student council because he was involved in something. No matter how you look at it, this guy is pretty suspicious.

"Come on, Nanahara don't be like that," Minami-kun chimed in. "Yukiharu said that you are stronger than any ordinary girl. Is that true? How about coming with us and proving it at the game center?"

Minami Shinji is the man in the beanie hat who seems to be Kurose's right-hand man because they are always seen together. This muscle brain seems like a good person but being together with Kurose makes me unable to trust him either. This duo seems to be a bit popular among the girls in my class which I can't understand. One looks like a delinquent while the other...where should I even start?

"What makes you think that I want to play with you? Get lost, I have other things to do."

I heard Kurose sigh while Minami chuckled bitterly. "Well, at least we tried." That's what I heard from his mouth. I don't know what they want to do but can they stop bothering me?

***

While walking down the deserted concrete street I opened my cell phone. I looked at my remaining points which totaled around ninety thousand. The education system in this school is so strange that it makes me a bit confused. Class ranking, points that can be used as currency, and so on.

Because of that, everyone started going on about cooperating as a class and other such nonsense. They were naive if they thought that a group of selfish teenagers who just met each other could easily get along without any problems. Let them play however they want, I myself don't really care about all this. I don't really have any intention of going to a fancy college or working for a company so I don't mind if I don't graduate as an A class. As long as I live my life peacefully, that's enough for me.

Since it's already June, the weather is getting hotter. But this afternoon somehow the air is cooler than usual. Maybe tonight I'll buy something nice. Like sushi or maybe steak and maybe a bottle of soft drink. Ah, if only every day could be like this.

"Hey, you!" someone shouted behind me. I turned slowly and saw three girls with annoying looks trotting towards me. Unfortunately, peace is very hard to come by for someone like me.

"You talk to me?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Who else?" the girl in the middle exclaimed harshly. Looks like they were looking for trouble. I don't know them but this isn't the first time a random stranger has messed with me. I turned to face them, ready for whatever babbling they wanted to throw out. The girl in the middle had shoulder-length blonde hair, the one on the left had long, curly hair, while the other had twin tails.