Chapter 10: Scammer

It's been three weeks since we officially became students at ANHS. We are all became used to everyday life at school. Every day I see the students with cheerful faces enjoying all the pleasures offered by the school environment. The good times will soon be over. May is getting closer and they all inevitably have to face reality.

Our class as usual is quite lively. While waiting for the teacher's arrival, the students play and chat with each other in small groups. Some people like Komugi and Nanahara were still as aloof as ever. At that time Minami, Iwa, and I were gathered in Gilang's seat. He was teaching us how to make a simple but very loud paper popper. The sound was so loud that the whole class was surprised when we try it. Even Sawatari, who was sitting closest to Gilang, almost fell off her chair. We were scolded by the girls while some of the boys are laughing and asked to be taught.

To be honest this is childish but very fun. Our class points might be deducted a bit for making a fuss but it's fine. Besides this kind of stupidity is quite useful in bringing students closer...no, I'm just making up excuses. Actually, I just want to play around once in a while like a kid.

"Good morning everyone, please get back to your seat." Shionome-sensei entered the classroom with a beautiful smile. Even so this time there was a hint of seriousness behind the look in her eyes.

"I don't know who made that loud noise just now," she said. "But please don't do it again. The sound could be heard clearly from outside the classroom.

Some of our classmates started glancing at us. Meanwhile, me and my three friends giggled. Gilang smiled proudly at his work.

"Now listen carefully, I have something important to announce."

Shionome-sensei is usually pretty relaxed, but today she's a lot more serious. Whatever she's going to announce is going to be important. We were silent and listened carefully.

"Today you will do a short test."

"Whaat?"

The class immediately became boisterous. Nobody likes a sudden test. Some students even dared to raise a protest against Sensei.

"Sensei, this isn't fair."

"I haven't had time to study yet."

"Calm down, everyone. You don't need to worry. The test this time will not be reflected on your report card. We are administering this test for future reference only."

Future references, huh? Reference for what? Don't tell me it's for our midterms. Will the difficulty of the questions be adjusted to our abilities? No, there was no way the school would be that kind.

Sensei then gave a stack of papers to the students sitting at the very front. "Please pass this paper with the student at your back."

The students then pass the paper to the people behind them. When everyone had their papers, I checked the contents. The paper contains several questions from five subjects. The test questions were fewer than I thought. Even so when I looked more closely, there were a few questions I didn't understand at all. Several other questions were still within the scope of the lesson we had gotten, but in each subject, there were at least three questions that made me confused.

I looked around me. The bright students like Satonaka and Sawatari also looked restless. It seems that the last three questions in each subject are deliberately made difficult. For honor students who always aim for a perfect score, this might be a bad thing. But this isn't a problem at all for someone like me who never gets a perfect score. Sensei said that the test results won't affect the scores on our report cards so I'll just answer anything that I know.