Enough is Enough

I stood with the rest of the interns and Dr Bailey. in the ambulance bay waiting for victims of multiple vehicle crashes. The first victim was brought out.

"Male, 55, victim of a head-on collision. GCS is 3. Depressed skull fracture. Multiple internal injuries. ACLS protocol started, but was vein blew so we've been pushing meds down the tube. PEA on arrival," The medic said.

"How long has he been down?" Dr Bailey asked.

"We've been doing CPR for about 20 minutes. It took fire 20 minutes to get him out of the car. He's pretty much gone," The medic said.

"No, he's not gone until we say he's gone. Keep coding," Dr Bailey ordered the medic as the gurney was wheeled into the ER with the first medic delivering CPR while the second helped wheel the patient inside. "O'Malley, get him into a bay and save him,"

"But he's dead," George said. Another ambulance rolled in. Alex, Cristina, Izzie and I rushed over.

"We've got three more victims from the other car people coming in. Let's move people!" A female medic yelled. We got the remaining three patients in.

"Male, 46, unrestrained driver of the car that jumped lanes. BP 80 over palp. Tachycardic. Last pulse 1:38. Got two litres of LR running wide open. Significant abdominal tenderness," Another Medic told us.

"Any history?" Dr Bailey asked.

"Uh, wife says he's got a bad liver. He's on the, ah transplant list," The medic said.

"Abdomen's rigid. Okay, hand's off. We need to page Burke and Domner. Prep this guy for the O.R. Who wants him?" Dr Bailey asked.

"I do!" We all said.

"Uh, too late. Stevens, take it," Dr Bailey said. "Karev, take the boy. Yang, you take the mom. I want to be looking at their films in 15 minutes!" Dr Bailey yelled. "Sloan, go see who needs an intern,"

"Yes ma'am," I said.

Timeskip

I was in the elevator with Alex and his patient Scott Seibert. Scott was hitting the side of the bed. Alex and I looked at each other.

"This guy came in this morning with 10 Judy doll heads in his abdomen. Is that some kinda sick or what? I mean, when you think about it, those things can't be that easy to swallow. They've still got their hair on them. That's some bad spaghetti. Dude's crapping toys," Alex said trying to lighten the mood. It seemed likely that Scott's mother was getting abused by Scott's father.

"You know, when you're little you can hide. Ignore the shouting, the screaming, you pretend like you're someplace else," I said.

"Then when you get older, bigger, you feel like you should be doing something. Something to stop it. You know, to protect her. And when you can't, you don't know who to be angrier at, Your old man or yourself. Usually, it's yourself," Alex said.

"Did she tell you?" Scott asked.

"She didn't have to. It's all over her films. He's not beating you, is he?" Alex asked.

"No, just her," Scott asked. "So what do you do? About the anger?"

"Me? I think about the guy who eats doll heads. He's got problems," Alex said as the elevator stopped.

"Hey, I've been looking for you guys," Izzie said as we got out.

"It's my father," Scott said.

Timeskip

I walked outside and was about to sit down. Izzie, George, Cristina and Meredith sat at the table.

"Woah you've got a nerve," Izzie said. I dropped my tray.

"Alright. What the fuck is your problem Stevens?" I asked.

"You knew the whole time. You watched as Meredith fell for him and didn't say anything. You're a crappy person," Izzie said. "You've got no loyalty,"

"Yeah. I knew and like I said before. Not my business now that shouldn't be something difficult to understand but if it really is that difficult for you let me explain again. It's not my business who my brother bangs. It's not yours either. Now the only person who's entitled to be pissed at me is Grey so if you're really pissed at me for that you have no business," I spat. "Don't you dare question my loyalty. You're still in a dream world but over in the real world loyalty is something that's earned. So yeah right now my loyalties lie with Derek and Addison. Because they're my family. But for the record, I was loyal to Grey. I told Derek to tell her when I told him that Addison was coming to Seattle,"

"Bullshit. You're just backtracking because you've been caught," Izzie said.

"You were raised in a trailer park so I have no doubt you know how to hit. You act like you know how to hit but if you don't know how to take a hit sit your ass down and shut it or somebody is gonna knock you on your ass and give you a reality check," I said. She grabbed me and went to hit me. I grabbed her scrub top.

"Aww look the big tough soldier won't hit me. You're all bark and no bite," Izzie said. I let go of her scrub top and swung my fist into the side of her face before walking off.

Timeskip

I was standing outside smoking a cigarette.

"Sloan, with me now," Dr Bailey said. I put my cigarette out and walked back into the hospital. Dr Bailey led me into a conference room. "Sit down," I shook my head.

"Sit down Sage," Addison said walking in. I sat down. She grabbed my hand and put an ice pack on my knuckles.

"Sloan, what the hell is going on with you?" Dr Bailey asked.

"She hit me first," I said.

"And you gave her 3 stitches in the head," Dr Bailey said.

"She had it coming. She doesn't get to call me out for choosing family over friends. She doesn't know the first damn thing about loyalty," I said.

"She wants an apology," Addison said.

"Stevens can rot in hell," I said.

"Not Stevens," Addison said.

"Sloan, I like you. I think you have great potential to become a great surgeon but I can't have you punching people out. You've worked too hard to throw that away by getting kicked out of the program," Dr Bailey said.

"I'm sorry Dr Bailey. It won't happen again," I said.

"Sign up to boxing gym if you like hitting people," Dr Bailey said walking out. Addison looked at me.

"Talk to me," Addison said.

"This is like high school all over again. You know in the army shit like this doesn't happen," I said. Addison looked at me. She smiled.

"You're a protector. You always have been. Loyalty is something you value a lot so you're protecting yourself this time," Addison said.

"Sounds like it's a good thing I have 2 neurosurgeons," I said. "Or I could be dealing with permanent brain damage,"

"It's sweet. You just don't use a lot of common sense when you get all protective," Addison said. I nodded.

"I've gotta go do some actual work," I said.

"Don't hit anyone," Addison said.

"No promises," I said walking out.