As We Know It

We all had flak jackets on and Dylan was strapping a flak jacket to Meredith who still had hand in James Carlson's chest.

"You realize how stupid that was," Dylan said to Meredith.

"It was Mer. Incredibly stupid!" Cristina said.

"Ok you know when you don't need to be made fun of? Like when you've got your hand inside a body that's got a bomb in it and a stranger is Velcro-ing a flak jacket to your boobs," Meredith said.

"Ok," Cristina said.

"You've got a sense of irony," Dylan said.

"Only when things are really ironic," Meredith looked at me and Cristina. "I had a feeling,"  We both looked at her.

"What's that?" Dylan asked.

"Nothing," Meredith said. Dr Burke walked in and started telling Cristina to get out.

"We've got it Yang. We'll be fine," I said.

"It's okay," Meredith said. I took over the ambu bag. Meredith had tears in her eyes as Cristina walked out. "So you have a plan right? You have a way to get me out of this right?" Meredith asked Dylan.

"You're gonna get out of here," I said.

"Don't lie to me," Meredith said. "Tell me if I'm going to die,"

"Grey," I said. "That feeling you had this morning about feeling like you were going to die. It wasn't talking about the bomb your holding. You know what it was talking about?" I asked.

"What?" Meredith asked.

"Me taking this scalpel and stabbing you with it for mentioning that feeling," I said. We stood keeping the conversation. Dr Burke had pulled up a chair.

"Is this the strangest thing that's ever happened in your OR?" Meredith asked Dr Burke.

"I'd have to say that it is," Dr Burke said.

"Good, cause I'm very competitive," Meredith said.

"All the best surgeons are," Dr Burke said. Meredith looked at me.

"Is this weird for you?" Meredith asked.

"Um. This is actually the second time I've been in an OR with a bomb in a person's chest except for last time I was you," I said.

"You don't talk about yourself," Meredith said.

"I do today. I've delivered more babies than you'd think," I said.

"Really?" Meredith asked. I nodded. "Anything else?"

"I've got a bullet in my gut," I said.

Timeskip

Meredith and I stood and watched while Burke and Dylan stood whispering at the door.

"Stop it. I'm not a patient," Meredith said.

"What?" Dylan asked.

"The two of you are looking at me the way we look at patients. Like I'm going to freak out at any minute. I'm not gonna freak out so whatever it is just tell me straight out," Meredith said. Burke moved from the door turning around to face us.

"The main oxygen line runs directly under this room," Dr Burke said.

"Ok," Meredith said. "Not ok. Well? I need one of you to tell me what this means exactly. Because I think I know what it means. But I tend to be glass-half-empty these days so I won't trust what I think it means. Because what I think it means if the bomb were to explode over the oxygen line the whole hospital could blow up. And that's just crazy right?"