Break on Through

Addison and I walked out of the car to see nurses standing on either side of the doors.

"Have you slept with enough of them for them not to throw stuff at us?" Addison asked.

"I don't know," I said.

"Take our chances?" Addison asked. I nodded. We walked across the line without getting things thrown at us. I stopped at the coffee cart.

"Morning Max," I said.

"Morning doc," Max said. "One Americano, one cappuccino?"

"Yes please," I said. I handed him the money. "Now here's 250 to pay for any hot drinks the nurses on strike come and get and here's 100 for you," I said. "If they go over 250 let me know and I'll cover it," I said.

"Are you sure?" Max asked.

"You know the saying happy wife, happy life? Well happy nurses mean happy work life," I said.

"Have a good day," Max said.

"You too," I said. Addison and I got into the elevator. "What do we have today?" I asked.

"Well that's for me to know and you to find out once you're in your scrubs," Addison said.

Timeskip

I had changed into my scrubs and was with Addison in the little room behind the nurse's station.

"Dr Sloan, Dr Sydney Heron. I'm your resident today.  You've been on Dr Montgomery's service everyday for the past 2 weeks," Dr Heron said.

"Yeah. On Dr Bailey's orders," I said.

"Well Dr Bailey's not here so why don't we try a different service today? Give someone else a chance on this service," Dr Heron said.

"Chief Webber and I both signed off on Dr Bailey's orders and Dr Sloan is already a familiar face to our patient who is scared. She needs the comfort of a familiar face," Addison said. "So I'd like to keep her on my service," Dr Heron walked away. "Come on let's go check in on our patient," Addison said to me. I nodded.

Timeskip

We were in our patient's room. She was a pregnant teenage girl called Cheyenne. Her mother was holding her hand. Addison was draining the excess amniotic fluid while I was doing an ultrasound.

"Is that too much?" Cheyenne asked.

"It's a lot of extra amniotic fluid Cheyenne but your baby looks strong," Addison said.

"Does that mean we can go? I mean appreciate you seeing us, I really do but this is a long drive for us and I can't afford to miss another shift," Cheyenne's mother Ms Wood said.

"Unfortunately Ms. Wood the mass on the baby's neck is what's causing the build up in fluid. It's also obstructing her airway and the spine," Addison said.

"Mom," Cheyenne looked at her mother scared.

"It's alright. Just listen," Ms Wood said.

"We're going to do a procedure called an exit surgery. Basically we do a C-section and only half deliver the baby," Addison explained.

"Half deliver?" Cheyenne asked.

"That's right. We pull the head and the arms out but we don't cut the umbilical cord," Addison said.

"Why?" Cheyenne asked.

"The tumor won't let air get to the baby's lungs. So we need the umbilical cord to keep her alive during the operation. It's kinda cool if you think about it. You'll be like your baby's life support machine," I said.

"And then after the surgery if all goes well, we cut the umbilical cord and you'll be the mother of a healthy baby girl. How does that sound?" Addison asked.

"That sounds expensive," Ms Wood said.

"Well your doctor at the clinic is a former student of mine, so it's covered," Addison said. "I'm gonna go head up and take this to the lab," Addison smiled before she left the room.

"The hospital gets a write off the surgery. And it makes Dr. Montgomery look good," I explained.

"So it's not charity?" Ms Wood asked.

"It's not charity. What time's your shift?" I asked.

"6 to 6," Ms Wood explained.

"I can look out for Cheyenne if you need to go," I said. "It's pizza day and the pizza's aren't half bad," I said.

"Thank you," Ms Wood said.

Timeskip

Derek came in to do a consult on Cheyenne's baby.

"Cheyenne, the prognosis is very good. So what we want to try to do is go in and get as much of the tumor out as possible during your surgery," Derek said.

"So my baby will be fine?" Cheyenne asked.

"Yes," Derek said.

"You may be able to take your baby home by the end of the week," Addison said.

"That soon?" Cheyenne asked.

"Absolutely. She'll be all yours," Addison said.

"Oh. Ok," Cheyenne said.

"Ok. Now, if you and your mother have any questions Dr Sloan will page me. All right?" Derek asked walking out.

Timeskip

Addison and I walked into the apartment building.

"Dr Sloan, here's your mail," The receptionist, Grace said handing me a stack of mail. "Yours too Dr Montgomery," Addison was handed a stack of mail.

"Thanks," We said walking to the elevator. We got to our floor and walked to our apartment. Ace was sat at the door.

"Hi bud," I said making a fuss of him. Addison walked over to the couch and Ace jumped up and sat down beside Addison with his head in her lap. I smiled before beginning to open my mail. "This one is from Rivers & Reese," I said.

"The lawfirm in New York?" Addison asked.

"Yeah," I said opening the letter.

"Do you have business with them?" Addison asked.

"Nope. I'm being sued by them and my father's girlfriend over my liver," I said.

"What?" Addison asked.

"I'm being sued over the fact that I said no to him having my liver. This is the stupidest thing in the world," I said.

"Meet with a lawyer and find out if they have any basis for the case," Addison said.

Timeskip

I was in the kitchen preparing dinner. Addison walked in.

"Hey. It smells nice in here," Addison said.

"Filet mignon and mash with gravy," I said. "How's Cheyenne's baby?"

"The surgery went well. Cheyenne's giving her baby up for adoption," Addison said. "How did your meeting with your lawyers go?"

"My lawyer doesn't think they have a case. It was never written in writing that I would donate my liver to him. Although I remember what Rivers was like in highschool so if they'll keep pushing. My lawyers and I have offered a settlement we're waiting for a response," I said.

"What if they decline?" Addison asked.

"We can go to court but my lawyer thinks they can rip them apart. Something about in the court of public opinion it'll look like a desperate partner taking money from a highly decorated army veteran and surgeon," I said.

"So nobody is gonna steal your liver?" Addison asked.

"Nope," I said.