Haunt You Every Day

I was in the resident's locker room with Meredith, Cristina, Alex, Izzie and Sydney when Bailey and Callie walked in.

"Okay, listen up. Today is a holiday, which means the pit will be overrun. You've got the usual drunken stupidity..." Callie trailed off.

"And then you've got Seattle's annual chain saw pumpkin carving contest. I love this city," Bailey said.

"Stay on your toes, stay on top of your interns, okay?" Callie asked.

"So we should round before heading to the pit or..." Izzie was cut off.

"Yeah, you should direct your questions to Dr Bailey, Stevens," Callie said.

"Oh, we're directing our questions to Dr Bailey?" Cristina asked.

"Oh, not you. Just Stevens," Callie said.

"Why is Stevens directing her questions to Dr Bailey?" Dr Bailey asked.

"Because she's been sleeping with my husband. All right, then. Have a good day," Callie walked out. Izzie walked out the other direction.

"It's a good day Bailey," I smiled before leaving.

Timeskip

Jacob was sitting in a wheelchair while Meredith, Cristina and I sat at a table talking. I was giving Jacob a fake scar for Halloween so he could dress up for Halloween. Meredith had a bag of her mother's ashes with her.

"We could scatter her off the roof," Cristina suggested.

"She was afraid of heights," Meredith said.

"They're ashes, Meredith. The ashes aren't acrophobic," Cristina said.

"I threw my mother's in a whiskey bottle before throwing it in Harlem River," I said biting into my burger.

"Why?" Jacob asked.

"Because Whiskey was her favourite thing," I said.

"Makes sense," Jacob said.

"I need to put my mother to rest. I need to not become her. I need to not die emotionally crippled and alone. And I need to not attend the wedding of Derek Shepherd and Sydney Heron. I need to put my mother to rest," Meredith said.

"Sydney Heron?" Cristina and I asked. George and Izzie walked over. None of us said anything.

"Just ask," Izzie said.

"So you two are together?" Meredith asked.

"Yeah," George said.

"Like "together" together, in love together? Sexy love, not sibling love?" Meredith asked.

"Yes. Yeah. We're together," Izzie said.

"And...you two have been...I mean, without any of us knowing...doing this the whole time?" Meredith asked.

"Just once," Izzie said.

"Iz," George said.

"I said she could ask questions. Just once. And now we're waiting to be together out of respect," Izzie said.

"For Callie's feelings," George said. Cristina and I both got up and I pushed Jacob's wheelchair away.

Timeskip

I got paged by Chief Webber. I walked to the nurses' station where he was standing with another doctor.

"Chief you paged," I said.

"Dr Hahn is doing a heart transplant today. Hopefully and she's requested you," Chief Webber said.

"Dr Sloan, I've heard a lot about you," Dr Hahn said.

"I doubt it was from Dr Burke," I said.

"You and I both attended Johns Hopkins. Your lecturers speak highly of you. You were top of your intern class despite spending the 4 months prior to your intern exams overseas in Iraq. Which is where I understand that you had some Cardiothoracic experience," Dr Hahn said. "How about you show me what you've got,"

"I would very much enjoy that," I said.

"Let's go," Dr Hahn said.

Timeskip

Dr Hahn and I walked into the room of the potential organ donator Erin Shandley where her father the potential organ recipient sat. Izzie, Lexie and George were in the room.

"Mr Shandley, I'm Dr Hahn. The transplant team is in place if you're ready to say goodbye," Dr Hahn said.

"You must not have children," Mr Shandley said.

"I'm sorry?" Dr Hahn asked.

"If you had children, you'd never say that. You'd never say, "if you're ready to say good-bye," Mr Shandley said.

"Mr Shandley, I'm very sorry, but I want to suggest one last time..." Dr Hahn began.

"No, I am not taking her heart. I can't have my daughter's heart beating in my chest. It would haunt me every day of my life. No!" Mr Shandley said.

"All right. I'm very sorry for your loss," Dr Hahn said before heading towards the door. "Page me when he's ready," Dr Hahn said to me quietly as she handed me the charts.

"Mr Shandley... I don't have kids, so I don't know what it's like to lose a child but I do know what it's like to lose a parent. Your daughter loved you. I saw her this morning. She was fighting for you. She was fighting for your life. You're her dad. You're her dad. She didn't want to leave you. I know that. I also know that she would want you to have her heart. I would've given my dad my heart if I could. If I could've saved him...I would've given him my heart," George said.

"All right," Mr Shandley said.

Timeskip

We were in surgery. We'd just put in the new heart.

"Paddles," Dr Hahn said defibrillating the heart which then began to pick up in color. "Let's see what we've got. There it is,"

Timeskip

Addison and I were lying in bed. We were cuddling.

"When we have kids what are we doing about last names?" I asked.

"Well when we get married I plan on double-barrelling my name like I did with Derek," Addison said.

"When we get married?" I asked.

"Yes. Do you want to get married at some point?" Addison asked sitting up.

"Yeah. I just didn't know if you would want to get married again 'cause you've done this before," I said.

"Of course, I want to get married to you idiot," Addison said. "We're going to get married and have a big family in our very nice new home," Addison said.

"Did we just get engaged?" I asked.

"No. We talked about getting married," Addison said.

"Good because that was a very lame proposal," I said.

"It was," Addison said. I sat up and took my shirt off. "You did a heart transplant today,"

"Yeah. It was pretty cool," I said.

"Have you picked a speciality yet?" Addison asked.

"Originally it was between Peds and Trauma now I've got a couple more options but no neuro or plastics," I said.

"So my specialities are still possible?" Addison asked. I nodded cuddling up to her.