The Heart of the Matter

I walked past the nurses station. My interns stood in a line holding charts.

"Rounds," I said stopping beside Meredith and Alex.

"We were hoping we'd get to join you in surgery today?" Mills asked holding out a cup of coffee. Alex and Meredith looked amused.

"Nice try. But you're not going to bribe your way onto a surgery. You're going to work for it but I will take the coffee," I said. "Now let's go round,"

"She's the new nazi," Meredith said to Alex.

"Damn right she is," Alex said. We walked into Jacob's room.

"Morning," Jacob said.

"Morning Champ. Have you eaten breakfast today?" I asked.

"I had some cereal and I ate a lot of it," Jacob said.

"Good job," I smiled. "Michaels present," I said.

"Jacob James, 6 days post-op surgery. No signs of post-op complications. Swelling has subsided. Vitals remained stable overnight," Michaels said. Callie walked in with Mark.

"Hey, Jacob remember we talked about seeing if that scar on your face could be made less noticeable?" Torres asked.

"Yeah. You said you'd speak to your plastics doctor," Jacob said.

"This is our plastics doctor, Dr Mark Sloan. He's gonna talk you through some options and I'm going to take a look at your wrist to see if we need to take you into surgery to fix it," Torres said.

"Sloan? Like you," Jacob asked me.

"Yeah, he's my older brother," I said.

"You got the looks," Jacob said to me. We all laughed.

"I'll check back in on you later. Ooh and it's pizza day in the cafeteria," I said.

Timeskip

I was with my interns doing charts.

"Dr Sloan, you're friends with Dr Torres right?" Mills asked.

"Yes. Torres is a friend why?" I asked.

"So you're on her side of the fight against Dr Stevens?" Riley asked.

"Torres and Stevens aren't fighting," I said.

"According to Dr Stevens interns they are," Michaels said.

"They aren't fighting," I said.

"But if they were fighting who would win?" Maxwell asked.

"I'm not answering that," I said.

Timeskip

Addison and I walked into the cafeteria with Jacob in a wheelchair.

"What pizza do you want champ?" I asked.

"Can I have one slice of pepperoni and a slice of cheese pizza?" Jacob asked.

"Sure," I said. We got food and sat down.

"It's busy in here today," Addison said.

"Everyone's waiting to see Dr Torres beat Dr Stevens," Jacob said.

"They're not fighting. It's rumors," I said.

"Dr Torres would win though," Jacob said.

"Eat your food," I said.

"I'd better keep Callie out of here," Addison said. I nodded.

"You and I are going to eat outside," I said to Jacob.

"Do we have to?" Jacob asked.

"We can go outside and eat and you can get some sun on that skin," I said.

Timeskip

I was outside leaning against the wall when I heard Callie going off on a patient's boyfriend.

"You didn't love her. You just didn't want to be alone or maybe, maybe she was good for your ego or...or maybe she made you feel better about your miserable life, but you didn't love her because you don't destroy the person that you love!" Callie yelled. I saw George coming behind her I made it over to her first.

"Torres, let's walk away," I said calmly stepping between the pair of them. "Let's go inside," I said. I took my jacket off and wrapped it around her leading her inside.

Timeskip

I had ripped the kitchen out and was taking down the old blinds and curtains.

"You've been busy," Addison said.

"Figured I'd get a headstart on ripping it all out so that we can start painting on Saturday," I said.

"You are amazing. Have I told you that?" Addison asked. I smiled.

"Can you pass that pot on the side please?" I asked. Addison handed me the pot. I put the old screws in it.

"So we're painting, you and your friends from the VA are ripping out and putting down the new flooring. Who's tiling our kitchen and bathrooms? And plumbing?" Addison asked.

"I'm waiting for quotes from a couple of companies and the kid down the street said he'd do both our back and front yards for 50 bucks," I said.

"It's all coming together," Addison said.

"Yep," I said.

"And I got the list of things you need in a house to have foster children," Addison said.

"Okay," I said.

"You do still want kids too, don't you?" Addison asked.

"Yes. I want kids," I said setting the tools down and walking over to her. I pulled her in for a kiss.