The Becoming

Emily was on the bed and Addison was doing an ultrasound on her.

"Mark's gonna be so mad," Emily said.

"You thought your sister was going to be mad and she's right here," Addison said.

"You probably dragged her here," Emily said.

"Okay, idiot. Shut up. I'm here of my own free will. I'll come with you to tell Mark," I said.

"Addie, is my baby okay?" Emily asked.

"It looks healthy. We'll see if we can hear its heartbeat," Addison said, pressing the button. A heartbeat filled the room.

"That's my baby?" Emily asked.

"That's your baby," I said.

"I don't know what I want to do," Emily said.

"Hey, you've got time," Addison said. "And you've got us. We're going to be right here. Now, do you want a picture?"

"Yes, please. Uh, can I have 4 please?" Emily asked.

"Yeah. I'll go get them," Addison said. I wiped the gel off Emily's stomach and helped her sit up. My pager went off.

"I'm sorry I've got to go but get someone to page me later and I'll come with you to tell Mark," I said. I kissed her head and left.

Timeskip

I was at the nurses' station.

"Hey, will you talk to the nurses for me? They're boycotting me," Mark said.

"I'm not the right person for that," I said. Emily walked over.

"Mark, I'm gonna tell you something and you're gonna stay calm," Emily said.

"Why?" Mark asked.

"Because you're my big brother and you love me," Emily said.

"Fine," Mark said.

"I'm pregnant," Emily said handing him an ultrasound scan.

"You're pregnant?" Mark yelled.

"Let's talk about this," Emily said taking his arm.

Timeskip

I sat in the conference room filling out the sexual relationship forms. Meredith walked in.

"Hey. Can I ask you a private question?" Meredith asked.

"Sure," I said putting the pen down.

"Do your soldier friends know that you're into girls?" Meredith asked.

"Four people knew. The rest would know not to knock on my hotel room door before 10 when we had a rest weekend," I said.

"We've got a vet on the trial. He's gay and he's with someone in the army. His father just found out and kicked his friend out," Meredith said.

"I've only been openly out to everyone in the last 4 years. I've known for 15 years that I'd rather sleep with a woman than a man," I said. "It took me 26 years to get to the point where I could openly walk up to a girl at a bar and take her home," I said.

"I'm sorry you had to feel like that," Meredith said.

"So your trial patient let him do it on his own," I said. Meredith patted my shoulder and walked out.

Timeskip

I walked over to Addison.

"Hey pretty lady," I said wrapping my arms around her waist from behind.