Love/Addiction

I was standing at the nurses' station with my new intern Dr Carter waiting for my other interns. Dr Maxwell and Dr Riley arrived.

"Where's Michaels and Mills?" I asked.

"We don't know," Dr Riley said.

"Okay, we'll start without them," I said my pager went off. "911 in the pit. Let's go people," I said running down to the pit. We put gowns and gloves on.

"What do we got?" Dr Webber asked.

"A gas main blew in an apartment building. Five injured, some badly," Torres said.

"Excellent," Cristina said earning looks from me, Torres and Dr Webber. "Horrible. It's horribly sad," We walked to the ambulance bay as an ambulance pulled in.

"Marla Kristler, 34-year-old female, abdomen blown out, skull fracture, third-degree burns over at least 40% of her body," The EMT said.

"Okay, I got this. Open OR two. Page Dr Shepherd. Torres, triage the rest," Dr Webber ordered.

"Yes, sir. Yang, you're with the chief. Go," Torres said.

"Oh, thank you. Uh, one, four, come with me," Cristina said beginning to walk away.

"What about us?" Lexie, Meredith's sister asked.

"Uh... go help Bailey in the clinic," Cristina said. Another ambulance rushed in as a man got out while an EMT was holding a baby.

"My wife...she came in...in another ambulance. Is she here? Where...where'd they take her?" The man rambled.

"Yeah, yeah. She'll be going straight to surgery. Sir, are you injured?" Torres asked.

"No. My son!" The man said.

"18 months old, contusions, possible head injury. BP and pulse are elevated," The EMT said as we followed back into the pit.

"Karev!" Torres said.

"I'm supposed to be on plastics," Alex said.

"I'll take it," Cristina said.

"I called Karev. You're with the Kristlers," Torres said.

"What about me?" Izzie asked.

"Oh, you up late last night? You look a little tired. Perhaps you should sit this one out," Torres said.

"I'm fine. Not up late. Went to bed early," Izzie said.

"Sloan, come here," Torres said. She pulled me over to the side.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Jacob James is en-route. Looks like abuse. I need you on that," Torres said.

"You got it," I said.

Timeskip

I was in the ambulance bay waiting for Jacob's ambulance.

"Sloan, I need you to cover the clinic," Dr Bailey said.

"Jacob James is coming. Possible abuse," I quietly.

"Say no more," Dr Bailey said.

"You three go cover the clinic," I said.

"Yes ma'am," The three doctors rushed away. The ambulance rolled in.

"Jacob James was found in a park unconscious by a stranger. He won't let us examine him but he's looking pretty rough," The EMT said quietly.

"Thank you," I said hoping up to the ambulance. "Hey, champ do you remember me?" Jacob nodded. "Okay good. You're hurt little man and I can't give you the care that you deserve out here so come inside and we can treat you okay?" He nodded. We got him into a trauma room.

"Sage, it hurts," Jacob said.

"I know. I'm going to talk you through everything I do but I'm going to need your help so that we can get you all better again. Sound good?" I asked. Jacob nodded. "I'm going to do some scans and I'm going to call Dr Shepherd, our brain doctor in to take a look at your head,"

"Is he nice?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah," I said. I paged Derek and he walked in after about 5 minutes. "Okay Jacob, I'm going to go for 5 minutes so that I can chase up those scans but Dr Shepherd is a good guy okay?" Jacob nodded. I walked out and a doctor handed me an envelope with the x-ray films. I walked back into the treatment room and put up the x-rays.

"Page Torres and general stat," I said to a nurse.

"Yes Dr," The nurse said. Jacob's monitors started beeping.

"Pressure tanked," Derek said. "Code Blue. Crashcart now," Derek yelled as I started compressions. The crash cart was brought in and eventually, we got him back.

"What happened?" Torres asked walking.

"His pressure bottomed out. His scans are up but I think he's bleeding internally," I said.

"Big words," Jacob said.

"Hey. We've got you. You're in safe hands here," I assured him.

"We're going to take you for more tests," Derek said cleaning the cut on Jacob's head.

Timeskip

We ran more tests and Torres and Bailey rushed Jacob into surgery. I was standing in the gallery pacing. Addison walked in.

"Hey, I just heard about Jacob," Addison said. "Are you okay?"

"He's a 7-year-old with more extensive injuries than I've seen in full-grown men. The adults I can handle but the kids are hard," I said. "2 kids in one day. Alex got a baby whose entire body is compromised from meth," I said.

"It's not okay," Addison said.

"Nope," I said. Our pagers went off. "Baby and father now missing. Keep an eye out,"

Timeskip

I was standing at the nurse's station. Alex walked over.

"A 1-year-old with a stroke," Alex said.

"A 7-year-old who was beaten to within an inch of his life," I said. "My place?"

"Yeah," Alex said. We walked down the hallway. We got changed in the locker room before walking out to the car. Addison was waiting.

"Alex is coming over," I said.

"Okay," Addison said handing me the car key. I drove the three of us home.

Timeskip

Addison, Alex and I were watching the baseball game. Well, Alex and I were. Addison was trying to figure out what was going on before she ended up reading a book with my arm around her and Ace's head in her lap.

"Oh it slipped my mind but we got the house," Addison said.

"We did?" I asked.

"We did. Aidan's going to bring the paperwork over tomorrow and give us the key," Addison said.

"We own a house," I said.

"You own a house," Alex said.

"Don't worry. It's got an attic bedroom that I'm sure you'll love," I said.

"I've got my own room?" Alex asked.

"With the amount of time you spend here you're getting a room," Addison said. "You're not getting in our bed,"

"What's happening to this place?" Alex asked.

"It's Sage's so she can do what she wants," Addison said.

"Think I'm gonna rent it out," I said. "Fully furnished,"