A Change is Gonna Come

Addison and I were walking around looking at a house to buy. We stood in the backyard.

"I can see us here," Addison said.

"Me too. It needs some work but it's perfect," I said.

"It's perfect," Addison said. I smiled at her wrapping my arm around her waist from behind.

"Ladies, how are we feeling about this property?" Our real estate agent Aidan asked.

"We love it and would like to put an offer down," Addison said.

"Perfect. I'll inform the sellers and keep you informed," Aidan said.

Timeskip

I stood waiting for my interns at the nurses' station when I felt them standing behind me.

"You're late. Now I'm going to talk ridiculously fast so we can get this covered. Rule 1, don't bother sucking up to me. I already hate you. Rule 2, trauma protocols, pagers and phone lists are important. Nurses page you. You will answer at a run. Rule 3 oncalls rooms are for sleeping in. If I'm sleeping do not wake me unless your patient is dying. Rule 4 your dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Rule 5 if my pager goes and I'm running you'd better be right behind me. Oh, and rule 6 is to keep the nurses happy. Be respectful or they will make your life hell then I'll make your life hell. Do we understand the rules?" I asked.

"Yes," The four interns said.

"Good. Now as interns, you're at the bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, you write orders, you work every second night until you drop, and you don't complain," I said.

Timeskip

I was in the ER with my interns.

"The ER can get busy fast. So discharge or admit quickly and correctly," I said flicking through charts. "Okay, beds 2 and 8 need sutures. Dr Michaels and Dr Maxwell you're on sutures. Dr Riley and Dr Mills we're going to meet the ambulances. Everyone clear?" I asked.

"Yes," The four interns said. Michaels and Maxwell went to the assigned beds and began with sutures. Riley, Mills and I joined the others waiting for the ambulances with the MVCs. Ambulances pulled in.

"Riley, Mills let's go," I said heading to the first ambulance. We opened the doors.

"Abby Morgans. 19-year-old restrained passenger. Head lac, complaining of pain on the left-hand side of her body," The ambulance driver said.

"Okay, Abby. Let's get you inside and checked out," I said. We wheeled her inside.

"I'm pregnant," Abby said quietly.

Timeskip

I was with Abby. Derek was checking her over while we were waiting for her films.

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Abby said. Dr Mills handed me a bowl just in time as Abby threw up. I pulled her hair back.

"It's alright. Let it all up," I said. Abby sat up and I handed her a paper towel to wipe her mouth.

"I want her to have a head CT," Derek said.

"Dr Sloan, my vision is going blurry," Abby said.

"Her feet look bigger," Dr Riley said.

"Vomiting, blurry vision, swelling of feet," I listed off. "Abby, how pregnant are you?"

"24 weeks tomorrow," Abby said.

"Page Addison Montgomery," I said to Dr Maxwell.

"Pre-eclampsia?" Derek asked.

"I think so," I said. "Page Callie Torres too," I said to Dr Riley.