Let It Be

I was walking with Dr Callie Torres. She was updating me on one of her patients that I was treating down at the VA.

"Harry's pre-op scans are looking good. I'm waiting on the lab results to come back. If they're clear which is what I'm expecting then I'll be taking him down to surgery this afternoon," Dr Torres said.

"That's great news," I said.

"One problem. Harry's military healthcare doesn't cover this and he doesn't have insurance," Dr Torres said.

"I know. I'm planning to pay for it," I said. "So give him the best and just let me know how much it is," 

"You're paying?" Dr Torres asked.

"Harry may seem like just this old guy but he saved me and pulled me from some really dark places. I couldn't pay him back then I was just a kid but now I can," I said.

"Okay. I'll organise the paperwork and get it to you," Dr Torres said. 

"Thank you. This really means a lot," I said.

"No problem," Dr Torres said.

Timeskip

I was on Addison's service. One of our friends, Sav from New York wants Addison to remove her uterus and overies after having a positive test result for the B.R.A.C.A gene. Weiss, her husband disagrees about her having the surgery.

"My mother died of it. My aunt. My cousin! She's 37, has ovarian cancer," Sav said.

"But you don't. You don't have cancer! This is crazy Sav," Weiss argued.

"But I have the gene Weiss," Sav said as Derek walked in.

"Which gives her up to an 85% chance of getting cancer Weiss," Addison said.

"And a 15% chance she won't," Derek said.

"What are you invited?" Addison asked.

"I'm not betting my life on 15%!" Sav said.

"Weiss asked me to come," Derel told Addison. He kissed Sav's head on the way past to sit beside Weiss.

"I thought it might help," Weiss said.

"Help what?" Sav asked. "I'm sorry Derek, cause I love you and I'm really glad to see you but until you grow a uterus and watch your mother die from this disease you don't get ... you don't get a vote," 

"She tell you that they were trying to get pregnant?" Derek asked Addison

"Yes she did," Addison said.

"Having a hysterectomy is gonna throw a wrench into that," Derek argued.

"Baby Sloan talk to your brother," Sav said. Derek looked at me expecting me to say something.

"I'm not paid for an opinion. I'm paid to be an intern," I said.

"Thank you," Weiss said to me.

"I'm not taking sides. I'm not stood here to pick sides. I'm stood waiting to be told what to do," I said. "Respectfully," Sav and Weiss went back and forth arguing. 

"Dr Sloan get a complete history and her pre-op labs. Get her scheduled for a double mastectomy and consult Dr. Quenar from plastics for a reconstruction," Addison said handing me Sav's chart. I walked out of the room.

Timeskip

Alex and I were doing Sav's pre-op workup.

"What happened to the bright and sunny kid?" Sav asked.

"Nothing Sav," I said.

"Then what is it? Is it the kid thing?It's the kid thing for most people. And the breasts. Oh and the total menopause like overnight," Sav said.

"It's a big step," I said.

"Well I think it's brave," Alex said.

"Thank you. And yes I'd love to be pregnant. I want a lot of things. I wanna ... sky dive. I'd like to learn Italian. I wanna go to San Tropez with my husband and lie topless on the beach," Sav said. I smiled.

"They do excellent implants in reconstruction these days. You won't even know the difference," Alex said. "Plus you'll never have to wear a bra again. That's something right?" Sav laughed. "I've got other patients to see,"  Alex walked out.

"The look on my face has nothing to do with your choices about surgery. I have a friend here. A really good friend here and he's in for a hip replacement surgery. It's a simple surgery and he's got the best ortho surgeon in the hospital but doesn't mean I'm not worried," I said.

"Weiss and I invited Derek and Addie out for dinner you should come too. Take your mind off your friend," Sav said.

"I'll think about it," I said.

"No you'll be there. If not I'll make Addie come get you," Sav said. "Scrap that she's bringing you," 

"Alright. I'll be there," I said.

Timeskip

I sat at the restaurant with Addison, Derek, Sav and Weiss

"Here's to taking life into your own hands," Sav said raising her glass.

"Cheers," Addison, Derek, Sav and I said tapping our glasses together.

"Yeah. And here's to bull and here's to crap. And here's to oophorectomy, hysterectomy, double bilateral mastectomy," Weiss said.

"Please stop," Sav said.

"How smart am I to know all those words?" Weiss asked.

"Stop," Sav said.

"Here's to breast reconstruction, nipple reconstruction. Here's to losing your wife. Here's to being the ass who can't be supportive. Here's to that," Weiss walked off. Derek walked off after him.

Timeskip

Addison and I walked into the apartment. I took my jacket off and put it over one of my chairs. I turned around to see Addison looking at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Your scars," Addison said. "I've never seen them before,"

"I don't usually show them off because I look at them and I remember things I didn't want to remember," I said. 

"Why'd you show them tonight?" Addison asked.

"Alex and I were doing Sav's pre-op labs and she asked me what happened to the smiley kid. Everyone from New York remembers me like that. Hell, even I did. But I haven't been that kid in a long time. Tonight was me coming to terms with that," I said. "I've changed and it's for the better,"  

"It's definitely for the better," Addison said.

Timeskip

I walked into the OR for Sav's operation.

"How'd your friend's surgery go?" Sav asked as a nurse gloved me up.

"There were no complications. He's gonna be okay," I said. Derek walked in with Weiss. Weiss stood at Sav's head.

"I'm going to go ahead and get started now. You ready?" Addison asked Sav. Sav nodded.