Crash Into Me pt 2

We were still outside.

"Grey, get in there. We don't have time to lose," I said.

"Okay. I got the shirt open. I'm almost there," Meredith said. "Can you see anything yet?" Meredith asked. Dr Webber and I were looking at the portable ultrasound monitor.

"Uh, I see the diaphragm moving. Move it up a little more. Meredith?" Dr Webber said.

"I'm working on it," Meredith yelled back. I saw something on the screen.

"Meredith, um, uh, stop. Stop right there. I want to freeze that frame. Yeah, his pericardium's full of blood," Dr Webber said.

"Oxygen, I. V. Start kits. Arnie, monitor. Uh, you, pericardiocentesis kit. His anaty's all screwed up because he's hanging upside down. Get someone from cardio. Go," Dr Webber yelled. Dr Hahn arrived with Izzie. I was prepping an IV.

"We're about to start the pericardiocentesis. But with the position of his body, the blood won't be pooled to the base of the heart, so I..." Dr Webber was cut off.

"I'd still use the subxiphoid rather than the parasternal," Dr Hahn said.

"Right. Okay. Meredith, did you hear that?" Dr Webber asked.

"Yeah. Is the kit ready yet?" Meredith asked.

"Yeah, I'm getting it ready for you now," I said.

"Grey, you've got to be careful with this technique. If you aim the needle incorrectly, you could nick the very-thin-walled right atrium," Dr Hahn said.

"Which could cause a cardiac rupture," Izzie said quietly to Dr Hahn.

"A cardiac rupture, a tension pneumothorax basically there's about six different ways she could kill him," Dr Hahn said.

"Dr Hahn ... shut up," Meredith said.

"Sir, you're gonna be fine," Dr Hahn said to Ray.

"Stevens, go get me an 18 gauge needle before this man's heart explodes in his chest," Dr Hahn said.

"Got it," Izzie said.

Timeskip

I was sitting keeping Meredith and Ray company.

"Sloan, do you have this?" Dr Hahn asked.

"I got it," I said.

"I've got to go," Dr Hahn said. I began talking Meredith through everything.

"You need to find the xiphoid process. Can you feel it?" I asked Meredith.

"Got it," Meredith said.

"Okay, now go two fingerbreadths to the left of the xiphoid," I said.

"I'm there," Meredith said. Dr Webber handed me a needle to hand to Meredith.

"Here," I said. "You're going to angle the needle toward the left shoulder. Don't stab. You don't want to hit the ventricle, and you don't want to drop the lung. That wouldn't help matters either," I said.

"What's taking so long?" Dr Webber asked.

"He's not ready," Meredith said.

"I'm trying not to be scared. I don't wanna die scared. I wanna not be scared," Ray said.

"Ray, listen to me. It's good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose," Dr Webber said.

"Yeah? Are you scared?" Ray asked Meredith.

"All the time," Meredith said. She injected him with a needle. "I feel like I'm going in too far,"

"Uh, pull back, pull back," Dr Webber said.

"Chief, Sage, what am I doing?" Meredith asked.

"You're too far in. There's some S. T. Elevation. Try angling more forward," I said.

"I got it. I got it. Ray?" Meredith asked.

"That feels good. I can almost breathe," Ray said.

"Okay, he's almost stable. Get ready to cut him out," Dr Webber said to the paramedics. Meredith got out and Dr Webber started cleaning her wound.

Timeskip

Addison, Callie, Mark and I were in the breakroom when Dr Hahn walked in.

"This is gonna sound bizarre. I realize at this point that this is gonna sound bizarre, but ... any chance you people want to get a drink with me?" Dr Hahn asked.

"Why would we want to do that?" Mark asked.

"She's saying she needs a friend," Addison said.

"Okay. Fine. Let's drink," Mark said.

"You won't hit on me?" Dr Hahn asked.

"I can't promise that," Mark said.

"If I say please?" Dr Hahn asked.

"He still can't promise that," Callie said.

"It's an issue," Addison said.

"Fine," Dr Hahn said.

"I need food," I said.

"Then hurry up so we can go," Mark said. Callie and I walked to the resident's lounge to change out of scrubs before joining the attendings.