17 Seconds

I was laying awake in bed beside Addison.

"It's rude to stare," Addison said opening her eyes.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"What's with the look on your face?" Addison asked.

"I got a call from my commanding officer in the army. They've asked me to re-enrol for 4 months," I said.

"So you're leaving?" Addison asked.

"No. I want to talk about it. You're a factor in this choice," I said. Addison sat up.

"Do you want to go?" Addison asked.

"I've got things to think about now. It's not just me. I could leave when I wanted the first time around," I said. "I'd like to make this decision with you," I said.

"Okay. So tell me if you'd like to go," Addison said.

"I would but I've got things going on now. I've got you and Ace and the pieces are falling into place here. I love our life right now," I said. "You know what it was stupid. I'll call him back and decline," I said going to grab my phone. Addison grabbed my hand.

"Sage, take the day to think about this. Seriously think about this. I'm going to be supportive of you no matter what but I don't want you to make a decision you're going to regret," Addison said.

"Okay," I said.

"Now let's go shower before work," Addison said.

Timeskip

I was staring at a chart in my hands.

"They don't bite back you know," Alex said. I looked up at him. "The chart. You've been staring at it for 15 minutes," I dropped the chart on the nurses' station. My pager went off and I ran down to the ER.

"Shooting," Meredith said. I quickly began treating patients. Meredith and I walked over to Alex.

"You seen any enema kits?" Alex asked.

"We have 13 GSWs. You're looking for enema kits?" Meredith asked.

"I'm trapped upstairs with the gyno-beast on the uterus parade," Alex said before turning to look at me. "What did you do? She's 10 times worse today than any other day,"

"Yeah, that's on me. I may or may not be going back to the army," I said.

"What?" Alex and Meredith asked.

"Not right now," I said grabbing the suture kit I was looking for and walking off.

Timeskip

I finished suturing up patients and was now sitting and writing on charts with Meredith in the conference room.

"Hey," Addison said walking in.

"Hi," I said.

"Hey," Meredith said.

"Have you seen Dr Karev?" Addison asked.

"Uh...hours ago," Meredith said.

"Ok," Addison said. "Sage, can I talk to you?" I nodded standing up. Addison and I walked to an on-call room. "You should go. You'll regret it if you don't go,"

"We were making plans," I said.

"You're going to be gone 4 months by the time you return it would have been the end of your intern year which was when we started talking about the kids and the houses," Addison said.

"I don't expect you to wait for 4 months' Ads. That's a long ass time. It would be unfair to ask you to wait 4 months. You don't need to spend 4 months waiting and worrying," I said. Addison grabbed my hips pulling me close to her.

"Hey. I've waited probably 10 years to be able to kiss you. I can handle 4 months. We can handle 4 months. And I worry about you even when you're not overseas doing this whole army thing," Addison said. "So I'll wait. In your apartment with Ace until you can come back home to us,"

"Okay. Looks like I'm going back to the army," I said. "Crap, I've got to tell Bailey and Webber,"

"Bailey's treating gunshot victims right now but if you want I can come with you to tell Richard," Addison said.

"No. I should go do it," I said.

"You can do that later. Right now take off your scrubs and get down here Lieutenant," Addison said.

"Yes ma'am," I said.

Timeskip

I walked into the ER and found Bailey.

"Dr Bailey. I know you're busy right now but could I speak to you for a minute please," I said. Dr Bailey stopped to look at me.

"What did you do?" Bailey asked.

"I'm being deployed for 4 months. I'm joining the army as a trauma surgeon. I report for duty tomorrow," I said.

"You're going back?" Bailey asked.

"Yes," I said.

"What about your intern exams?" Bailey asked.

"I'll come back for them," I said.

"You've made up your mind," Bailey said.

"Yes," I said. "I need to do this,"

"4 months?" Bailey asked.

"4 months and I'll be back with a stupid grin on my face to take my intern exams because I am a surgeon. I'm not walking out on that dream," I said. "But my guys need me,"

"Okay then," Dr Bailey said.

Timeskip

Addison and I arrived outside the airport. I was in my uniform.

"I love you," Addison said.

"I love you too," I said kissing her. She squeezed my hand. We got out of the car. I was getting my bags out of the truck.

"Sage, you really think you can leave without saying goodbye," Alex said. I set my bag down. I pulled him into a hug.

"I'm not dying Alex," I said.

"You are leaving though," Alex said.

"For 4 months which means you've gotta carry the title of the hottest intern," I said.

"I won't let you down," Alex said.

"Look after my girl," I said to him quietly. He nodded. We pulled away. I looked at Addison. We smiled at each other.

"Be careful," Addison said.

"I'll try," I said putting my bag on my shoulders. I fixed my hat and we walked into the airport. When we got to my gate it was full of other service members saying goodbye to family members. "I should get going,"

"4 months," Addison said.

"4 months," I said.

"Stupid blond," Alex said.

"Devil baby," I said. I smiled at the 2 of them before boarding the plane. Alex had his arm around Addison.