chapter 32: what else could I say about that?

*first person pov*

"lads can we stop for a moment? My feet feels like it could give up any moment now!" Gimli shouts at us, stopping and putting his hand on his knees, bending over while heavily panting.

It's been a day ever since we've been chasing after the grotesque league of orc's who kidnapped our kin. Merry and Pippin.

The sun was setting in the far west, painting the sky with violet and orange colours. Me, Legolas and Aragorn stop in our tracks, looking behind to Gimli.

I look to the west, seeing that the sun is beginning to set and darkness and tiredness will soon overcome us. All the more reason for us to stop and rest.

"We should rest Aragorn, it will be dark soon- I'm sure the orc's also take rests. We won't be too far from them if we stop for a moment." I say to Aragorn and he looks around.

Then he nods at us all, ushering for us to go into the direction of the deep forest on our right. "We should rest in the outskirts of the forest, that way we cannot be seen in plain sight but near enough to get out of the forest if anything comes out." Aragorn declares.

we all nod at him, making our way towards the forest. Gimli practically running there so he could rest his legs.

Right as we reach the place where we were planning to camp for the night, Gimli just plops down on the floor with a big sigh. "damn you elves and numenorean men." Gimli grumbles to us. Me and Legolas just look at each other and shrug.

"sometimes being an elf has its perks." I say to Gimli.

"do you truly not feel any exhaustion at all?" Gimli asks us. Legolas and I just shake our head at him.

"no, we do get tired at some point but it would take a very very long time." Legolas says and Gimli huffs at that. 

"damn you perfect elves....always so graceful and restless and egoistical and-" he starts to mumble in his mother tongue and I smirk. I forgot how he still doesn't know that I can understand what he's saying.

Legolas tells Aragorn and Gimli to rest for the night while he can keep first watch.

"you should go rest for the night too." Legolas says to me and I shake my head at him. "nah...I don't think I'm tired yet. And I kind of don't want to sleep for some reason." I softly say to him.

Mainly I didn't really want to sleep because I wasn't looking forward to recontinueing to relieve that specific memory dream of mine. I was also on edge afraid that another orc was gonna come out and just randomly choke me again.

Legolas nods at me, then sits down and leans on a boulder that was near him. I do the same and sit beside him, our shoulders slightly leaning on each other.

He turns to me, wanting to say something but quickly closes his mouth and frowned. He stands up straighter, his face directly in front of mine now. I raise my eyebrows at him, curious as to what's got him so concerned. 

"somethin wrong?" I ask him and he pushes away my hair from my neck, revealing the red gash I had from being choked by that orc.

"who did this to you?" he says with a low grating voice, his jaw locked and his hands softly tracing my neck.

"oh-" I exclaim as he traces my neck, his lips just mere inches away from mine, red slightly rising in my cheeks. I take his hand in mine and reassure him that it's really nothing. "-I forgot about that, an orc got the chance to choke me for quite a while. But it's fine though I already killed it." 

His eyes meet mine, a certain rage in his eyes that could make him gouge the eyes of the orc that choked me and left the red gash. He releases a deep breath, squeezing my hand slightly.

Shivers went up my spine as I thought about how he was tracing my neck with his hands and how close we are right now.

"you should be more careful Ral." He says softly. I nod at him, my eyes getting lost in his blue eyes. Enthralled by how his eyes reminds me of the ocean. Of the comforts of home.

His eyes dart to my lips, then he looks back to my eyes. He clears his throat, quickly leaning back and going back to his previous position. His cheeks go crimson red, his hands fiddling with the end of his cloak.

I clear my throat too, staring at my feet. Not knowing why my heart is beating unnaturally fast. I could hear Legolas's heartbeat being louder than it usually would be, but that sound was drowned out by my heart beating fast too.

It's weird honestly, first it was the incident when the crebain was passing us, then when we were in lothlorien being mistaken for an actual couple, also with the times when we would hold each others hand and then what happened just now.

It's so freaky because even though sometimes I feel flustered at all of those moments, it also felt comforting and familiar because I was being intimate with a close friend of mine. Yet, thinking about how close we were just now and how the butterflies appeared in my stomach like a teenage girl-

Gimli's snore quickly cuts off my thought from finishing, sounding like even the orc's who were miles away could hear him. I smirk, then I look to Legolas. "what do you think of Gimli? or really just dwarves in general." I ask him.

He snaps up from fiddling with his cloak, his eyes wide and eyebrows raised. Looking quite cute with his confused gaze actually.

"I remember when Gimli volunteered to go on this quest after you did, you literally rolled your eyes and looked like you wanted to withdraw from going on the quest at that exact moment." I snickered at him and he chuckles.

"oh yes I remember that." he then looks to the sleeping Gimli and shrugs.

"I don't know...I mean he's a dwarf. What else could I say about that?" He says and I frown.

"On the other hand, although his kind are greedy and gold diggers, they are also loyal and determined folk." Legolas continues.

I smirk at him, happy that he doesn't think that they're a nuisance and are actually warming up to dwarves.

"also, if lady Galadriel was willing to give him a dwarf, three strands of her hair when Fëanor, who was of our own kind asked her for one strand and she refused him....who am I to judge?" Legolas looks at me, "if lady galadriel trusts him, then so will I." I smile at him, lacing my hand with his.

"Then there is still hope for our kind to befriend them once more." I say, resting my head on his shoulder and closing my eyes. Now feeling safer to close my eyes with him on my side.

"maybe there might still be." he says, slightly leaning his head on mine and staring out at the night sky.

A/n: okay yall i kinda don't like this chapter but like its the only idea I have to write rn so yeah😍😍 BUT YALL GUESS WHAT, I'M FREE RN YAYAYAYYAYAYA FINALS SEASON IS OVER AND I NOW HAVE MORE TIME TO WRITE YAYAYA. So be ready to face me updating more frequently now yuh. I think writing this chapter will keep the writing juices flowing and im gonna upload better chapters for you bbgs okur

anyways i hope yall like this chapter and vote for it if you think its good!!