chapter 46: you look like you've seen a ghost

*first person pov*

I spun the dagger around, staring at my reflection. I could feel my back always burning whenever I use the dagger, it was sick really. How I would still use the dagger after all of the things that happened with it.

I turn to my bag, knowing my crown and the gift that Galadriel gave to me was in there. I was alone, I found a secluded area and miraculously a room. I thought I needed the quiet to contemplate if I wanted to do it. To remind myself of who I was, a hundred years ago.

I reach for the bag, feeling the soft material of the armour. It bore the colours of my kingdom, the clothing blue and the braces golden. It's funny honestly, how we now don't want to voyage like we used to and only stayed in our kingdom in the forest. We sill couldn't forget our origins, how our people used to be. So we expressed it in our colours, dark blue like the ocean.

I spun the crown between my fingers, it wasn't one of my fancy crowns. It was my everyday one, the metal was painted brown, giving the illusions of branches on our heads. It was decorated with little leaves, brown and purple alike.

"oh god damn it, why must you keep the armour and give it to Galadriel brother? it's almost like you knew a war was going to come to us." I muttered, before yanking the armour out of my bag and putting it on.

I stared at myself in the reflection of my sword, reminded of the time of our war. When my father died. And also the last time I saw my brother, fighting with each other before I decided to run away. The only thing that was different was just my hair, even now it's already starting to grow a bit past my shoulders.

I pick up my bag, slinging it over my shoulder and putting my other belongings in it. Just as I was about to exit the room, I caught sight of something slightly sparkling whenever something with light hits it. I smirk as I pick it up, tracing my fingers along the silk material and golden threads. 

"goddamn it Maralan. You sentimental fool." I smirked, before tying it around my head and striding out of the room.

                                                                     *~*~*

In a mass organized movement, the people walked in a fine line with their belongings towards the caves, soldiers all around them help guide them towards the caves. I could see Legolas and Gimli helping too. Aragorn on the other hand though, was speaking to Eowyn

"because they love you!" She shouted to Aragorn, tears glassing her eyes.

They stood there silent for a moment, even Legolas and Gimli turned to each other and shared a look.

"I'm sorry." She whispered, before scurrying off with the people, accidentally hitting Gimli and Legolas's shoulder.

And even bumping into me quite very hard.

"sorry." She said to me, not meeting my eyes, before running off again.

"no offense taken." I grumbled, before walking over to my friends.

Legolas widens his eyes as he sees me, Aragorn and gimli seemed to not recognize me at first glance, dismissing me as probably another soldier or one of the people.

"Ral?" Legolas said, his eyes wide and disbelieving. Aragorn and Gimli whipped their heads to me, mouth ajar and eyes wide.

"what? you lot look like you've seen a ghost." I said to them, hands on my hips. Aragorn and Gimli stood there frozen while Legolas slightly shakes his head.

"that's because we probably did."

"oh shut up, I can't really just waltz into war with a pirate hat and my jacket can I?" I declared, the three of them shook their head simultaneously.