chapter 72: fight

*first person pov* (sorry for the too many pov switches)

Frodo and Sam wasn't dead. That was the only thing I needed to confirm as the eagles carried their small bodies over in their claws. They were passed out, we hadn't known if they were still alive by then. But their bodies was still intact. That was enough confirmation for me.

The eagles gently set their frail bodies on the ground, it felt like a disgrace when they just put them like that. They just saved us, the least we could do was not put them on the bare ground.

Gandalf put his fingers on the side of Frodo and Sam's necks. He gave a relieved nod and smiled. 

Everyone laughed or exhaled a sigh of relief. 

Boromir was the one that was most worried of all. He almost broke down sobbing when Gandalf announced Frodo was safe. 

I hugged him from the side and rubbed his shoulder. I remember him crying his heart out when he first tried to take the ring from Frodo. At that exact moment of him being vulnerable, I knew that I could trust him with my life. And him staying and convincing my crew to come and fight here was enough proof of it.

"today, all of you fought valiantly. Now we should get back to Minas Tirith, treat the wounded quickly." Aragorn ordered for everyone to pack their stuff up and go back home.

I slung my arm around Legolas. "I am so ready to go home."

He chuckled and wrapped his arm around my waist and rested his head against mine. "likewise."

                                                          ~*~*~

Just as yesterday, the healing houses were just as full today. Luckily, the people who were hurt yesterday were cleared to go home, so there was still spaces for today's soldiers.

We were fortunate though, it was a short fight and even then not many of us got severe wounds.

I lean on the rails of my ship. We were fortunate that the eagles came and Frodo got to destroy the ring on time. If he didn't I doubt we'd all be standing here safe and sound. We truly owed Frodo and Sam our thanks.

"enjoying the view?" Legolas said as he came up on deck. He was changed out of his armour, returning back to his simple attire. The tunics. He clasps his hands behind his back, his blond hair blowing as the ocean wind goes through them.

"it's only fair, I've been gone from the sea for months." I put a hand under my jaw. "I remember when we first arrived at Rivendell. I was exactly standing here when I got the message. At the time it felt like my whole world, my whole life was about to crumble."

Legolas takes a wary turn to me. "and now?"

I smile, staring at the far horizon. I turn to him and stand straighter. "preferably, I wish I got more profit out of this journey, but nevertheless." I give him a quick kiss. "it worked out all fine."

Legolas grins and wraps an arm around my waist, his face close and his voice low. "Just fine? I can't help but feel a tad bit disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm."

I shrug, returning his smile. "if I'd gotten more money, I would've said extravagant. But fine would have to settle for now."

"hey lovies!" Gimli screamed, his short figure funny as his arms and legs are both spread wide as he was below us. I couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"what?" Legolas screamed back. I could tell by the tone of his voice he was frustrated we got interrupted. He's so cute actually.

"Aragorn's having a party! Everyone's invited! Now come on!" Gimli ushers us over, waving his hands to his direction frantically before running back over to the palace.