chapter 64: jack shit

*First person pov*

It feels as though the very spirit of the world has been drained out of this haunted mountain. Crows loomed overhead, yet no sounds were heard. I wonder if that was how the crows; the thieves, operated. Although this was not a mountain filled with treasure. They would have no reason to be here.

"What kind of an army would linger in such a place?"  Gimli remarked in absurdity. 

"one that is cursed." Legolas retorted. "Long ago the Men of the Mountain swore an oath to the last King of Gondor."

Everyone knew about this story. The people who are not in good graces of society at least. Everyone knew how the men were the one who brought this upon themselves. The people of Gondor who were criminals already told them it was no use being a soldier, that one day their greed and fear would eat their nobility.

"to come to his aid, to fight." Legolas continued, that oath was a prime mistake. "but when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled...vanishing into the darkness of the mountain ... And so Isildur cursed them- never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge."

That was their mistake, not knowing their cowardice before signing up for something. People like me saw that there was no benefit in being a soldier, only grief and death.  So we stayed away from that, only minding our work and getting honest- well, as honest as it can be, money.

"Who shall call them from a grey twilight, the forgotten people? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the north shall he come, need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the paths of the dead." Legolas recited.

I looked to Aragorn in front of me, he stood silent the whole time. Was he angry with his people for abandoning their king?

We all stood silent, the mountain understood the grim situation all too well and stayed silent as well. Only the hooves of our horses could be heard, and the faint sound of weak wind.

Before us, at the root of the mountain, a stone edge pillar with a door in front. The mountain itself looked dead.

The path to the door was filled with dead branched trees. They were low and sharp, we would not be able to go on our horses. 

We walked on foot, with our horses trailing by the reins. The door ahead of us welcomes us with a gaping mouth. It was warning us to not enter, but it was not mad, just wants to save us from a mad fate.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away." Gimli utters as the trees shadow loom over his small figure.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut." Legolas reads the inscription above the door, his voice echoing as he reads the last passage.

A gushing wind comes out of the doors. A wailing rough sound moving along with the wind. The mountain seemed to understand that someone wishes to enter its domain.

I held on to my hat, but I could not hold on to my horse. All of our horses rode away, spooked by the course voice that went through their ears.

"Brego!" Aragorn shouts after his horse.

I stood my ground and exhaled a sharp breath. I looked at the passage. There was no use chasing after the horse. Something far ancient is awaiting for us in the deep depths of the haunted mountain.

Gimli turns to the mountain and held out his axe. His eyes were wide and he couldn't keep still, funny, I thought he grew up in mountains?

Legolas and Aragorn turn to the mountains as well. Legolas frowns, not knowing what we should do now. Aragorn on the other hand, had a face as set as stone.