chapter 57: old ass

*first person pov*

The distant hue of the sun rose over the hills of Rohan. Its orange light meddled in with the sky, but just by a bit. Perfect enough that it doesn't affect much of the blue sky. The moon was there too. One moment in the day where the moon and sun meet.

The sunrise always seemed perfect to me. It was the start of a new day, where you can abandon the things that happened yesterday and start anew. And maybe that was what I was doing, basking in the light and cleansing myself off the grime and blood a few hours ago.

I took in a deep breath, closing my eyes and listening to the wind.

"where is that....you lad, have you seen a certain captain anywhere?" A rough voiced asked. I smirk at the red headed dwarf below me.

The guard looked at him then up to me. I walked to the centre of the hall and raise a brow at him, was he going to point me out or do I have to jump down myself?

The guard sighed and pointed above Gimli's head. Right towards me.

Gimli tilted his head at the guard and slowly turned around, and gasped when he saw me.

"Maeral! How did you get up there?" Gimli questioned, his hands on his hips. 

My feet dangle off the roof. I shrugged. "climbing, what else?" 

"Then get your ass down here now! Gandalf is calling for us." Gimli shouted. Suddenly his figure looked limp, his hands dropped to his sides and his shoulders sagged. His skull was cracked open and blood was dripping out of it.

I gasp at the sight of it. I retract my left foot back to the safety of the ledge.

"What?" Gimli frowned. His face was normal again. There was no blood except for his braided red hair and beard.

"nothing." I quickly retorted. "yeah I'll be down in a second." 

Gimli nodded and went back inside. I bit my tongue, my nails scraped at the roof. That image of them was not going to go away soon.

I locked my jaw and leaped off the roof back to solid ground.

                                                    *~*~*

Gandalf rose up from his seat and walked towards us. "There was no lie in pippin's eyes. A fool..." He turns to pippin. "...but an honest fool he remains." Gandalf slightly glares at him but then Gandalf turns to me, and his eyes turned softer.

"But I must ask you Maeral...what did he ask of you?"

The air in the room felt thicker, my mouth felt overly dry. "He didn't ask me anything. Not anything about Frodo at least." I crossed my arms. I shifted my weight to my left foot. "but he did ask me to join him." I flailed my hand, everyone looked at me with doubt and betrayal.

"I said no obviously." I quickly responded to everyone's silent question. I tug at the strings on my bracelet. "And then he showed me a vision when I refused." I gave a wry smile. "and that was that."

Gandalf gave a small nod, then moved on to Pippin's vision. "He told sauron nothing of Frodo and the ring." 

Gimli sighs with relief. I looked to him, and his skull was cracked open. I dig my fingernails into my arms. I looked away from the dwarf and turned to Aragorn beside me.

My eyes slightly widens at the sight of the dunedain. One of his arms were cut off, three arrows were struck into his body. Blood was all around him. Dripping. Dripping. Dripping to the floor.

I don't dare to turn to Legolas. But unfortunately curiousity always gets the best of me. I almost released a gasp when I turn to him. A dagger was struck into his chest. One exactly like mine.