chapter 39: you are actually at a serious advantage here

*first person pov* (pretend the look in the pic is with shorter hair)

The sun rose, the people woke. But it wasn't a good morning, no no it wasn't. Grief was surrounding this entire city. Even the birds sung songs of mourning.

I put up a bath for me to clean myself in. Once I was done I opened the wardrobe that was in the room, although the outfits that was appropriate for the occasion didn't fit me. It was either too small or too big for me to wear.

It also felt like a bit rude for me to go out here in the morning of the funeral and ask any lady nearby if they had any black dresses I could wear. So I had to improvise, since my usual pirate attire was of neutral colours, I opted to just wear that.

I put on my black trousers, laying my black jacket over my worn down white shirt. It wasn't perfect, but it'll do.

I also didn't do anything fancy to my hair today, just putting the front of my hair into two braids. Not wanting my hair to blow by the wind and cover my face during the funeral.

I reach for my hat near the desk. But stopped when my fingers touch it, remembering how this is going to be an occasion for mourning, not really a good time for me to play dress up.

I stride out the door, looking for anyone that I know. Since I didn't really know where the funeral will be held.

After a few minutes of me walking around, a guard approaches me and shows me where the funeral will be held at. Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn and Gandalf already there.

Soon the five of us walked behind Theoden while he walks behind his dead son's body. Down the narrow path in between all the men and women of the city.

When we reach the tomb, the people who carry Theodred lower him down. Giving his body to the women to be put in the tomb. Eowyn and all the women started to sing for him. Even though I couldn't understand a single word, everyone sang it with emotion and grief.

"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan
forth onsended
 giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende
 on Meduselde þæt he ma no wære
 his dryhtne dyrest and mæga deorost.
 Bealo..."  

(An evil death has set forth the noble warrior A song shall sing sorrowing minstrels in Meduseld that he is no more, to his lord dearest and kinsmen most beloved. An evil death...)

Everyone starts to disperse once Theodred's body is placed inside the tomb. Leaving only Gandalf and Theoden by the tomb.

When we returned to the halls, there was breakfast served on the table already. Everyone started to eat but there was no mingling nor any talking. Just low voices and sounds of the clinking of utensils.

Suddenly, the doors flew open and Gandalf and Theoden stride in. What was weird was, that there was two children in front of them. Dressed in rags and worn down clothing, their faces tired and starving.

Me, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli looked at each other with confused looks. Appalled as to why these children without their parents suddenly came into the halls of Rohan exhausted and out of place.

After the two children tell their journey in between their ravenous eating, Theoden sighs and buries his head in his hand in deep thought.

"The had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go." Eowyn says to Theoden.

The four of us looked at each other, concerned to the situation that happened.

Eowyn continues to comfort the kids, Gandalf stretches out his palms to the children. "This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on." He says, putting a hand on Theoden's throne.