chapter 62: You'll need all the help you can get

*First person pov*

"Then Rohan will answer. Muster the Rohirrim!" Theoden ordered. Eomer nodded at his uncle's orders and gives Eowyn a gentle shoulder squeeze. I could see Legolas standing eerily still from the side.

Eomer nods at me, one fighter to another. I nod back at him and give him a cocky smirk. Maybe that could lift his spirits, but I doubt it honestly. He seemed melancholic about the war happening.

I guess he's not as sadistic as I am. Whenever will I get the chance to kill people without needing an elaborate enough reason? I can only do that if I was fighting a battalion of orcs.

It's grim that a battle is about to happen. I won't deny the fact that I'm not terrified, not terrified for the lives of myself and friends. Only a fool doesn't have fear, especially towards death.

But this is also one of the biggest things that has happened since these past few days. What's a pirate if not being excited for a big fight happening? Besides, it also means this journey is coming to an end soon, meaning I could go back to piracy. I could go home.

Its been interesting being the good guy these past few months, but it does get tedious after a while. And I miss the rush of running away from the authorities.

"I should get ready." I point my thumb to the others, who were all running to prepare their armour and horses.

Eowyn nodded, her face was meddled with both determination and fear. 

I rub her back slowly and give her shoulder a squeeze. War is not an easy thing to swallow, fear and grief is bound to get you in some way. It's a cruel thing, but I guess that's the only solution that we people can actually fathom doing.

I was about to turn to leave when Eowyn wrapped her arms around my shoulders tightly. She pulls back to look up to me, worry in her eyes. 

"please be safe out there." she smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. Her lip quivered, but she kept up the smile nevertheless.

I smiled back at her, but it wasn't the usual smile I had as a captain, it was the comforting reassurance of a friend.

"I'll be fine, I promise. I owe you a ride on my ship anyways." I winked at her as I walked away. I couldn't see Eowyn's response, the men were blocking my view of her as they prepare for orders and strategies for the battle.

                                                                 *~*~*

The corridors were quiet. There was no one walking my way, everyone was busy outside or consulting their king about the battle. It seems even the maids were outside or in the kitchen preparing food for the journey to Gondor.

It reminded me of being on my ship somehow, my boots thumping on the wooden floor as I stride about on deck, or really just anywhere on my ship.

Occasionally, the quietness and the fuss outside is exactly how some days go on my ship. Although mostly when it's calm inside, it's calm outside. The only time where it wouldn't be is whenever a bet or a game was going on. Then usually it'd be the most loudest ship in middle earth. Those moments never make me want to settle down and leave my crew.

I really wonder what they've been doing these past few months I'm away. Thinking about it again, it was probably a mistake to let Daratrine handle the ship. She might be the quarter master but she gets stressed very easily. She's had mental breakdowns over the most simplest things ever.

I should brace myself on my ships condition when I get back, they better not butcher my reputation. 

I look upon my room that I've slept for days as I go to the door to leave.