chapter 43: curses? really?

*first person pov*

I offered to take hold of Arod's reins but Legolas refused and rode in front of me while I rode behind him, worried for him all throughout the ride. I wrapped my arms around his waist so that he knows I'm here for him.

We sat in silence the whole ride. I knew that Legolas was still blaming himself in his head. I let him be, he needs to gather his head first. What's important was that he knows I'm here for him if he needs me.

After a while of riding, we finally arrived to Helm's deep. Nestled against the mountains, there lies a fortress of bulky grey stone.

"not bad." I say as my eyes land on the fort that we all hope won't be the end of us all.

"it has helped us countless of times before, it will help us again this time." Theoden besides us muses.

"let's hope to valar that's true." I mumble under my breath.

                                                                     *~*~*

"make way for the king!" Gamling shouts as Theoden and us all comes into the gates of Helm's Deep.

"make way for Theoden! make way for the king!" Gamling continues to shout as we come in and go up the roads.

As soon as we all stop I could see that Eowyn was running towards us with a sight smile, but falters quickly as she sees how many people came back.

"So few. So few of you have returned." I could hear Eowyn say as I dismount from the horse, finding that Legolas was offering his hands to help steady me from getting down.

"oh thanks." I say with a smile, his soft hands regardless of the fighting that just happened remained, holding my waist gently but not too much it'll slip easily.

"your welcome." He smiles softly, after I think an eternity of not seeing him smile since last night's incident and Aragorn's fall. He didn't show his teeth like how he always did with me though, I guess we'll just have to wait for him to smile like that again.

I walked towards Gimli who was making his way towards Eowyn, a somber expression on his face. I give his shoulder a squeeze, letting him know I'm also here for him. He smiles softly at me and nods.

"My lady." gimli speaks up. 

Eowyn turns to us, worry on her face. "Lord Aragorn ... where is he?"

Gimli gulps for a moment, having difficulty to say it out loud.

"He fell." he finally managed to say.

Eowyn's eyes turn wide, her mouth hangs ajar. She turns to Theoden, he looks back at her before quickly gazing away. Visibly shaken, she sits down to stabilize herself. Gimli walks away to give her privacy. I was about to do the same when she suddenly rises up and takes hold of my wrist.

I turn to her, expecting for her to ask more questions. But instead, she pulls me in for a hug, slightly trembling too. I don't know if this hug was to soothe her or me, but I hugged her back nevertheless. I could feel the tears starting to pool from the corner of my eyes, but I blinked it away. Not wanting the people of Rohan to see me, their childhood prodigy, crying like a child.

"I'm so sorry." Eowyn softly says as we pull back from the hug. At this point I could feel the tears starting to fall to my cheeks, I dug my slightly long fingernails to my palm, so that I'd get distracted by the pain and the tears won't even come out at all. And fortunately, this worked.

"I'm sorry too." I whisper, my voice feeling like cracking if I talk any louder.

She nods and gives my hand a soft squeeze before going to join her people, leaving me in the middle of the road. Biting back the tears coming to me. It felt like not bursting out crying is making me want to breakdown even more. Yet, I couldn't cry here. There was far too many people.